How to Solve Integrals: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners

In summary, the conversation involves finding the integral of 1/(cscx-1) and the average value of f(x)=x/(x+3) over an interval. Different techniques are used to solve the integral, including rationalizing the denominator and using trig identities. Two shortcuts are mentioned, one involving a double angle on the cosine and the other using \sin x=(\sin x-1)+1.
Physicsisfun2005
integral of 1/(cscx-1)

i can't think of any trig subs or anything...natural log prob? ;)...i udnno I'm truly clueless. all i need is a hint or more if u like ;) :wink:

also, am i using integrals for this prob:

Compute the average value of f(x)=x/(x+3) over the interval [-a,a], 0<a<3

I think i will just get an expression for the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is what I have done. So you should go through my working to check for errors.

[tex]
\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ecx - 1}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{1}{{\left( {\frac{1}{{\sin x}} - 1} \right)}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{1}{{\left( {\frac{{1 - \sin x}}{{\sin x}}} \right)}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{1 - \sin x}}dx}
[/tex]

When I see something like the above I just think, something needs to be done to the denominator. I would use a technique similar to rationalising a surd expression as follows.

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{1 - \sin x}} \times \frac{{1 + \sin x}}{{1 + \sin x}}dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x + \sin ^2 x}}{{1 - \sin ^2 x}}dx}
[/tex]

Now use some trig identities as follows.

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}\cos 2x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx} } - \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{\cos 2x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx} } - \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{2\cos ^2 x - 1}}{{\cos ^2 x}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx} } - \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{2\cos ^2 x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}} dx - \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx} } - \int {dx + \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx} }
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \int {\frac{1}{{\cos ^2 x}}} - \int {dx} }
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \int {\sec ^2 x} dx - \int {dx} }
[/tex]

The first integral in the above line can be done by substitution or simply by inspection which can save time. :biggrin:

[tex]
= \frac{1}{{\cos x}} + \tan x - x + c
[/tex]

[tex]
= \sec x + \tan x - x + c
[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes,Benny,good work... :smile: Though you could have shortcutted the part with the double angle on the cosine... :wink:

Daniel.

Thanks dextercioby. :smile:

I see what you mean, I went around in circles. The question could have been finished as follows.

[tex]
\int {\frac{{\sin x + \sin ^2 x}}{{1 - \sin ^2 x}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x + \sin ^2 x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \int {\tan ^2 x} dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int {\frac{{\sin x}}{{\cos ^2 x}}dx + \int {\left( {\sec ^2 x - 1} \right)} dx}
[/tex] The integral on the left can be integrated by substitution or using the fact that [tex]\frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {\sec x} \right) = \tan x\sec x[/tex]

So [tex]\int {\frac{1}{{\cos ecx - 1}}dx} = \sec x + \tan x - x + c[/tex].

I was thinking about something else...Right from the beginning...It doesn't really matter.It would have been another (more simple) trick besides the one you pulled...

Daniel.

P.S.These 2 tricks shorten the calculus,but the disadvantage is that u may not see either of them... :tongue2:

In the numerator you could have used Sinx=-(-Sinx)=-(1-Sinx-1)
which would have simplified the calc instead of *ing and /ing by 1+Sinx

Last edited:
poolwin2001 said:
In the numerator you could have used Sinx=-(-Sinx)=-(1-Sinx-1)

OMG,how can u say that?? Would u agree that what u said is basically an alambicated way of:
[tex] \sin x=(\sin x-1)+1 [/tex]

and the minus would appear naturally (when symplifying the denominator and the numerator),not forced...??

Daniel;

PS.Benny,that's the trick i mentioned...

What do you mean by natural and forced??
Yes I was talking about this only.[itex] \sin x=(\sin x-1)+1 [/itex]
I added the -ve sign to prevent confusion,but it seems that it didn't work.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of something, by breaking it down into infinitesimally small pieces and adding them up.

2. Why do integrals often seem difficult or "stuck"?

Integrals can be difficult because they require a deep understanding of calculus and its concepts. They also involve complex mathematical manipulations and can be time-consuming to solve.

3. How can I approach solving a "stuck" integral?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve a difficult integral. These include using substitution, integration by parts, or recognizing a pattern and using specific integration techniques.

4. Is there a specific formula or method for solving integrals?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all formula for solving integrals. Each integral is unique and may require different techniques to solve. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and practice solving different types of integrals.

5. Can technology be used to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can help solve integrals, such as calculators, graphing calculators, and computer programs. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind integration and not solely rely on technology to solve problems.