Need Help with a Problem? Get Expert Assistance Here!

• Thread starter MRAI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that involves using the chain rule to differentiate a function. The participants provide explanations and examples of how to use the chain rule, and suggest different ways of approaching the problem, including using substitution and expanding the polynomial. Ultimately, the participants arrive at the solution by computing the necessary differentiations and expressing them in terms of 't'.
MRAI
Stuck on this problem! Help please?

Could some please help me with this question, really stuck on it! thanks! :wink:

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    89.6 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Substitute the given values for x and y into the main equation then differentiate it.

Then set t=1 in the derivative.

This problem seems to be an exercise in using the chain rule. Instead of variable x think of the problem with function x(t) =t+3. same with y. then remember the chain rule says [tex]\frac{d}{dt}f\left(x(t)\right) = f'\left( x(t) \right)\cdot x'(t) [/tex]

I'll help you with the first part of the derivative. Remember that you can take the derivative of a sum piece by piece.

So the first part is [tex]4x^2= f(x(t) )[/tex] where f in this case is [tex]f(x) = 4x^2[/tex] and [tex]f'(x)=8x[/tex]. So from the chain rule [tex]\frac{d}{dt} f(x(t))= f'(x(t))\cdot x'(t) = 8x(t) * x'(t)[/tex]

Then once you have everything you just need to figure out what x(1), x'(1), y(1), y'(1) are and plug in. Easy

This way really does lead to a lot less work than plugging in, expanding, then differentiating.

Ok you mean do this: z = 4(t+3)^2 - 3(t^4 - t^2)^2 + 6(t+3) - 2

If yes, then how u find dz/dt in terms of t?

i still VERY confused, about the chain rule! :(

If the chain rule confuses you, you don't need to use it. you can simply expand what you've written out (ie what is the square of (t+3)) and then take the derivative like a normal polynomial.

All the chain rule says is if a function can just be written as a function of another function then there is a short cut. Do you see that if f is defined as [tex]f(x) = 4x^2[/tex] then [tex]f(t+3) = 4(t+3)^2[/tex]? Don't be embarresed if that isn't clear... I've seen many calc students not understand how basic functions work but you will need to figure it out to get through the class.

Here's a bit more help define f as [tex]f(x) = 4x^2 +6x -2[/tex] and g as [tex]g(x) = -x^2[/tex]. Now write out f( x(t) ) + g( y(t) ). What is that (hint look at the original problem)? Given that can you solve [tex]\frac{d}{dt} f( x(t) ) [/tex] from what I've told you before? What about [tex]\frac{d}{dt} g(y(t)) [/tex]. Then what about [tex]\frac{d}{dt}(f(x(t)) + g(y(t)) )[/tex]

As I say if this stuff is too confusing don't use it. There is always expanding the polynomial and taking the derivative that way.

Good luck
Steven

Here's the chain rule for [itex] z=z\left(x(t),y(t)\right) [/itex]

[tex] \frac{dz}{dt}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

It's simple.Compute the 4 differentiations and express everything in terms of 't'.

Daniel.

hey mrai,
dz/dt=8x(dx/dt)-6y(dy/dt)+6(dx/dt),where dx/dt=1,and dy/dt=4t^3-2t^2.now substitute these values and then put t as i,u get dz/dt to be 38.see ya

dextercioby said:
Here's the chain rule for [itex] z=z\left(x(t),y(t)\right) [/itex]

[tex] \frac{dz}{dt}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

It's simple.Compute the 4 differentiations and express everything in terms of 't'.

Daniel.

Yes indeed, it would appear that this is an exercize aimed squarely at using the chain rule as posted above.

MRAI, it you're just learning about this stuff I recommend that you do it both ways as an exercize. Firstly do it using the chain rule as posted above by Daniel and then repeat using simple substitution. If you make no errors then you will certainly get the same result either way.

1. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, the first thing you should do is take a step back and try to understand the problem from a different perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time. If you still can't solve the problem, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, colleague, or online community.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is to consistently challenge yourself with new and difficult problems. You can also try to learn different problem-solving techniques and strategies, and apply them to various types of problems. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.

3. What are some common reasons why I might get stuck on a problem?

There are many reasons why you might get stuck on a problem. It could be because you don't fully understand the problem, you are approaching it from the wrong angle, or you don't have enough knowledge or skills to solve it. It could also be due to distractions, lack of focus, or feeling overwhelmed. Identifying the reason can help you find a solution.

4. How can I stay motivated when I am stuck on a problem?

Staying motivated when you are stuck on a problem can be challenging, but it's important to not give up. One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of why you are solving the problem in the first place and the benefits of solving it. You can also take breaks, seek support and guidance from others, and celebrate small successes along the way.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future, it's important to continuously develop your problem-solving skills and techniques. You can also try to understand and analyze the problem thoroughly before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to take breaks and approach the problem with a fresh mind. Additionally, asking for feedback and learning from your mistakes can help you improve your problem-solving abilities.