Need Help with a Tricky Homework Problem? Find Solutions Here!

• Thread starter diffusion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: At z0? Sorry, not sure if I really understand what you're asking. Are you asking for a point, the equation of the particular circle generated, or something else?I'm asking for the x,y,z equation(s) of the circle generated by the initial point (x0,0,z0). :smile:
diffusion

Homework Statement

problem.jpg

Not sure how to approach this one, does anyone have an idea?

BTW, in the top line it should read xz-plane, not xy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi diffusion! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Forget all the stuff about the cylinder …

the question is simply to prove that if you rotate z = e-x2 about the z-axis, you get z = e-x2-y2

that's easy, isn't it? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi diffusion! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Forget all the stuff about the cylinder …

the question is simply to prove that if you rotate z = e-x2 about the z-axis, you get z = e-x2-y2

that's easy, isn't it? :wink:

I'm sure it's easy once I've been set in the right direction. I can see that z = e-(x2-y2) by graphing it, I just don't know how to show mathematically that it does.

ok … what does "rotate z = f(x) about the z-axis" mean? … how would you express the instruction as an equation? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ok … what does "rotate z = f(x) about the z-axis" mean? … how would you express the instruction as an equation? :smile:

Well you will rotate the function around the z-axis, so that z = f(x) becomes z = f(x,y). Not sure how to express it as an equation, besides telling you that the equation is a function of both x and y.

Try putting it in words first …

what happens to each individual point on the original curve?​

tiny-tim said:
Try putting it in words first …

what happens to each individual point on the original curve?​

Produces a circle when rotated.

diffusion said:
Produces a circle when rotated.

Yup! And the equation of a circle is … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yup! And the equation of a circle is … ? :smile:

Yep, I recognized this before I posted the question. Again I just don't know how to show it, or justify it. I suppose I would say something like

"Since each point on the graph z = e-r2 will generate a circle when rotated about the z-axis, and the equation for a circle is r2 = x2 + y2, we can make this substitution into our equation for r2, giving us z = e-(x2+y2)."

I don't know, somehow this justification seems vague and inadequate.

diffusion said:
"Since each point on the graph z = e-r2 will generate a circle when rotated about the z-axis, and the equation for a circle is r2 = x2 + y2, we can make this substitution into our equation for r2, giving us z = e-(x2+y2)."

ok, let's formalise that …

the point (x0,0,z0) generates the circle (x,y,z), where … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ok, let's formalise that …

the point (x0,0,z0) generates the circle (x,y,z), where … ? :smile:

At z0? Sorry, not sure if I really understand what you're asking. Are you asking for a point, the equation of the particular circle generated, or something else?

I'm asking for the x,y,z equation(s) of the circle generated by the initial point (x0,0,z0). :smile:

1. What do I do when I get stuck on a problem?

When you encounter a problem that you are struggling with, the first step is to take a deep breath and remain calm. Panicking will only make it harder to think clearly and find a solution. Then, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This will make it easier to approach and solve. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help from a colleague or mentor. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a new light.

2. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To avoid getting stuck on a problem, it's important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and techniques related to the problem. Make sure to review and practice regularly to strengthen your understanding. Additionally, it can be helpful to keep track of the strategies and techniques that have worked for you in the past, so you can refer back to them when faced with a similar problem.

3. What if I've tried everything and I'm still stuck on the problem?

If you've exhausted all your options and are still stuck on a problem, it's important to take a step back and take a break. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem and coming back to it later with a fresh mind can help you see it in a new perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with a colleague or mentor, as they may have insights or suggestions that can help you move forward.

4. How can I stay motivated when I'm stuck on a problem?

It's natural to feel frustrated and demotivated when you're stuck on a problem. However, it's important to remember that getting stuck is a normal part of the problem-solving process. Instead of focusing on the frustration, try to shift your mindset and view the problem as a challenge that you will overcome. You can also try taking breaks, rewarding yourself for progress, and reminding yourself of past successes to stay motivated.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when I'm stuck on a problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It's important to remember that no one knows everything, and it's perfectly normal to need assistance from time to time. Collaborating with others can also help you learn new techniques and approaches to problem-solving. Just make sure to give credit where credit is due and continue to work on strengthening your skills and knowledge.