Solving for Acceleration: Mass, Air Resistance, and Cliff Falls

• Thread starter shawonna23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the rock of mass 33 kg has a downward air resistance of 239 N. To find the magnitude of the acceleration of the rock, one must use Newton's 2nd law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. To find the correct answer, one must draw a free body diagram and use the equation \sum \vec F=m\vec a to sum all the forces acting on the rock.
shawonna23
A rock of mass 33 kg accidentally breaks loose from the edge of a cliff and falls straight down. The magnitude of the air resistance that opposes its downward motion is 239 N. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the rock?

I tried a=239*33 and I got 7.24 but that was wrong. Please help. I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the forces acting on the block?

What does Newton's 2nd law state?

Did you draw a free body diagram of the falling rock including all forces acting upon the rock?

Did you write out [itex]\sum \vec F=m\vec a[/itex]? I'm sure if you do the above and sum the forces you'll get the correct answer.

1. How do I get "unstuck" when I am stuck on a problem?

One strategy is to take a break and come back to the problem with fresh eyes. You can also try discussing the problem with a colleague or seeking help from a mentor or teacher. Another approach is to break the problem into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time.

2. Why do I keep getting stuck on the same type of problem?

It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts or a gap in your knowledge. Take some time to review the fundamentals and see if there are any areas you need to strengthen. It could also be helpful to approach the problem from a different angle or use a different problem-solving technique.

3. How do I know if I am approaching the problem correctly?

One way to check your approach is to walk through your steps and see if they make logical sense. You can also ask a peer or mentor to review your approach and provide feedback. Additionally, you can try solving the problem in a different way to see if you get the same result.

4. What should I do if I am running out of time to solve the problem?

If you are stuck on a problem with a time constraint, it is important to stay calm and focused. Prioritize the steps that are most crucial to solving the problem and try to eliminate any unnecessary or redundant steps. If you still cannot solve the problem in time, it may be best to move on and come back to it later.

5. How do I prevent getting stuck on problems in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on problems is to practice problem-solving regularly. This will help you develop different techniques and approaches for tackling problems. Additionally, make sure you have a strong understanding of the fundamentals and continuously seek to expand your knowledge and skills in your field of study.