1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on Wave Motion Problem

1. Dec 30, 2004 #1
    I've looked at the following problem several times and have gotten stuck.

The Problem
    -----------
    An earthquake-produced suface wave can be approximated by a sinusoidal transverse wave. Assuming a frequency of 0.50 Hz (typical of of earthquakes, which actually include a mixture of frequencies), what amplitude is needed so that objects begin to leave contact with the ground?

My Thoughts So Far
    ------------------
    To leave the ground acceleration must be 9.8 m/s^2. The equation of motion is x = A cos 2 Pi f t, where A is amplitude, f is frequency and t is time. I'm not sure how go from this point to get the equation for acceleration. :confused:

What's the next step?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Find the second derivative of x with respect to t, and that's your acceleration.

Then, you want to find the maximum value that this can take, which is easy, since trigonometric functions are bounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?