1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck please help

1. Aug 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataWhat is the area, and its approximate uncertainty, of a circle of radius 3.9 104 cm? (Hint: Assume an uncertainty in the radius of 0.1 104 cm. Use the correct number of significant figures in your answers.)

2. Relevant equationsI really don't know

3. The attempt at a solutionThere's been a lot and scattered on paper...so I don't have one
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2
    what's the area of a circle?
  4. Aug 24, 2007 #3

and I did that and it wasn't the right answer...
  5. Aug 24, 2007 #4
    is that 14 in "14r^2"

it should be pi.r^2
  6. Aug 24, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't read either one of you. What is a radius "3.9 104 cm" and why should "3.14r^2" be taken to have "14" in it? Is my browser rendering things wrong? Oh, yeah and since when are we using '.' for multiplication as in "pi.r^2"? You may be confusing each other.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  7. Aug 24, 2007 #6
    oops sorry..
    I thought 3 is a number (like those question numbers)..

edit: I need to get a sleep :zzz:
  8. Aug 24, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Error propoagation is to do with how much effect errors have in the calculation.
    Simple example speed, if I know the distance to 10% and the time to 10% then the biggest error I could have in speed is 20% ( try some numbers if you aren't sure why)
    Whre two numbers are multiplied the percentage errors add.

In area if I know the length to 10% and the width to 10% the worst error I could have is 20%.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?