Stuck with a problem from a take home test

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the dissipating speed of kinetic and potential energy as a body free falls into a viscous fluid. The potential energy is determined by the body's initial height, while the kinetic energy is calculated using the mass and velocity. The total energy would remain constant without any dissipation. The conversation also mentions the factors that may affect the dissipating speed, such as Aerodynamic Drag and Terminal Velocity, and asks for more information on these variables.
joselyn
A body free fall into a viscous fluid. Calculate the dissipating speed of kinetic and potential energy during this motion into the fluid. ( suppose Yo initial height)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can't do that if you are given no numerical values! What are you given? The potential energy is, of course, mgh where h is the height of the body. kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2. If there were no dissipation (no viscous fluid) the sum of those (total energy) would be constant. I presume that the "dissapating speed" is the rate at which that sum is decreasing.

joselyn said:
A body free fall into a viscous fluid. Calculate the dissipating speed of kinetic and potential energy during this motion into the fluid. ( suppose Yo initial height)
For instance, are you concerned with Aerodynamic Drag ("air resistance") and/or Terminal Velocity?? If so, what Reynold's Number range are you considering??

What should I do if I get stuck on a problem from my take home test?

If you find yourself stuck on a problem from a take home test, the first thing you should do is take a break. Step away from the problem for a few minutes and clear your mind. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a different light.

How can I approach a difficult problem from a take home test?

When faced with a difficult problem from a take home test, it's important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what you do know and what you don't know. Then, try to make connections between the information you have and the information you need to solve the problem.

Is it okay to ask for help on a take home test?

It is generally not recommended to seek outside help on a take home test, as it defeats the purpose of the test. However, if you are truly stuck and have exhausted all other options, it is okay to reach out to your teacher or a classmate for clarification or guidance.

What can I do if I can't find the answer to a problem on my take home test?

If you are unable to find the answer to a problem on your take home test, try using different resources such as textbooks, class notes, or online research. If you still can't find the answer, make an educated guess based on the information you do have and explain your reasoning.

How can I avoid getting stuck on a problem from a take home test in the future?

To avoid getting stuck on a problem from a take home test in the future, make sure to thoroughly review all material covered in class and take good notes. Also, practice similar problems on your own to build your understanding and problem-solving skills. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask your teacher for extra help or clarification before the test.