Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck with an integral

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone

I need some help in performing the following integration (not HW):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi/4}\left(\frac{x}{x\sin x + \cos x}\right)^{2}dx[/tex]

I tried integration by parts, but it leads nowhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS--Mathematica gives the answer as [itex](4-\pi)/(4+\pi)[/itex] but is unable to perform the integration with the [itex]x^2[/itex] term in the numerator replaced by unity.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2
    To solve your integral, you can start by differentiating

[tex]-\frac{x \sec{x}}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})}[/tex]

this will give you

[tex]-(\frac{x \sec{x} }{x \sin{x} + \cos{x}})^{\prime} = \frac{x^2}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})^2} - \frac{(\sec{x} + x \sec{x} \tan{x})}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})}[/tex]

Now, you'll recognize the first term on the right hand side as your integrand. To evaluate the second term on the right hand side, you can first take the [tex]\sec{x}[/tex] out of the top half to get

[tex]\frac{(\sec{x} + x \sec{x} \tan{x})}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})} = \sec{x} \frac{1 + x \tan{x}}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})}[/tex]

Now, divide the bottom half by [tex]\cos{x}[/tex] to get

[tex]\frac{\sec{x}}{\cos{x}} \frac{(1 + x \tan{x})}{(x \tan{x} + 1)} = \sec^2{x}[/tex]

Now, the integral of [tex]\sec^2{x}[/tex] is

[tex]\int{\sec^2{x} dx} = \tan{x} + C [/tex]

therefore, your integral, is

[tex]\int{(\frac{x}{x \sin x + \cos x})^{2} dx} = \tan{x} - \frac{x \sec{x}}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})} + C[/tex]

where C is a constant of integration.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  4. Jun 19, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I'm not sure about you Matthew but most people don't have a preset function they know the should differentiate and compare their integral to. Otherwise one might just say to differentiate [tex]\frac{\sin x - x\cos x}{\cos x - x\sin x}[/tex] and see what you get.
  5. Jun 19, 2007 #4
    Fair enough, but it wasn't a guess -- I got there by trying to find out what function, f(x), when divided by [tex](x \sin{x} + \cos{x})[/tex] yields the integrand in part of its derivative. (The answer of course is [tex]f(x) = -x \sec{x}[/tex]). Then it's a question of seeing if you can integrate the other part(s) of the derivative -- if you can, you have a solution. In this case, it was possible.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  6. Jun 19, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

In that case, good work mate :)
  7. Jun 19, 2007 #6
    No, you're right -- I should have made this clear at the start. Sorry folks.
  8. Jun 20, 2007 #7
    Thanks Matthew and GibZ

Sorry for the late acknowledgement...I figured out how to do it, by a method similar to that suggested.

GibZ, if I take your function with the minus replaced by plus in the denominator, then the derivative equals the integrand. So thats an equivalent way of doing it.

Thanks again
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?