Integral Homework Help: Evaluating \int \frac{1-cos(x)}{x^2} dx | Basic Methods

In summary: You are going wrong because when you close the semi-circular contour in the upper half plane you go around the origin on an infinitesimal semi-circle, so the residue is pi.
Jory

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{x^2} [/tex] dx
given that it exists (The integral is between 0 and Inf, couldn't figure out how to add limits)

Homework Equations

No idea, looking round, it seems this is related to the Dirichlet Integral but the proof is way beyond the level I'm at. Given that this is from an exam that seems weird. Is there a way to compute this with more rudimentary methods, perhaps by using the complex plane?

The Attempt at a Solution

None

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to do the integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1-e^{ix}}{x^2}dx ?[/tex]

Can you see the connection?

Last edited:
no actually how did you come with that? please explain

Because [tex]e^{ix}=cosx+isinx[/tex] and so your integral is just the real part of my integral. What level of maths are you at? Because if you don't know that identity your unlikely to know the complex methods that will allow you to do this integral.

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sorry for asking this stupid question

Also forgot to mention your integrand is EVEN so you can write the integral as:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}Re\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1-e^{ix}}{x^2}dx\right)[/tex].

Hopefully you know what to do now.

Just to point out, that wasn't the OP ;), but yeah that helps. Will take another look

Edit:

So can you calculate the residue at 0 using the Laurent expansion of e^ix, which gives the answer as Pi?

Thanks

Jory said:
Just to point out, that wasn't the OP ;), but yeah that helps. Will take another look

Edit:

So can you calculate the residue at 0 using the Laurent expansion of e^ix, which gives the answer as Pi?

Thanks

Oh yeah, sorry lol. Yes that's exactly right so your integral (0 to infinity) will be pi/2

Awesome

Thanks bud

Hmm I'm still not getting the correct answer.

Using the Taylor expansion of e^ix, then dividing by x^2, gives me a coefficient of -i in front of the z^-1 term does it not?

Which makes the Residue = 2Pi, then dividing this by 2 gives me Pi, not Pi/2 as the answer.

Where am I going wrong?

Because the residue should be pi, not 2pi because when you close the semi-circular contour in the upper half plane you only go round the origin on an infinitesimal semi-circle so it's pi, it would be 2pi if we went all around the origin on a full circle but we don't in this case. (It might help to draw the contour).

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus that is used to calculate the total amount of a quantity that is changing continuously.

2. Why do I get stuck with integrals?

Integrals can be challenging because they require a good understanding of calculus and its principles. They also involve multiple steps and techniques that can be confusing for beginners.

3. How do I know which technique to use for a particular integral?

There are several techniques for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The best way to determine which technique to use is to practice and familiarize yourself with each method and its applications.

4. What are some tips for solving tricky integrals?

One tip is to always start by simplifying the integral and trying to identify any patterns or relationships. Another helpful tip is to use online resources or consult with a tutor or professor for guidance and extra practice.

5. How do I know if I have solved an integral correctly?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the solution. If the derivative matches the original function, then your solution is correct. You can also use online calculators or ask for feedback from a math expert to ensure the accuracy of your solution.