Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck with difference equations

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    Hello. I am stuck with linear difference equations and i would like some help.

I was given that y(k) = y(k)homogeneous + y(k)particular and i am asked to solve the linear equation:

y(k+1) + y(k) = k
    with initial condition y(0) = 0

the homogeneous solution is
    y(k+1) + y(k) = 0
    n + 1 = 0
    n = 1
    y(k)homogeneous = C(-1)^k
    y(0) = 0 = C(-1)^0
    C = 0
    y(k)homogeneous = 0

then the particular solution
    y(k)particular = Bv0*(K) + Bv1
    then they tell to substitute this particular equation to the original y(k+1) + y(k) = k
    and after i do so, i should get
    Bv0=1/2 and B1=-1/4

However, no matter how i substitute i can't get the answer.
    Maybe i am substituting the wrong thing. Can anyone show me the substitution process which leads to the mentioned result of Bv0 and Bv1?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y(k+1) + y(k) = k
    Bv0*(k+1) + Bv1 + Bv0*(k) + Bv1 = k
    2Bv0*k + (Bv0 + 2*Bv1) = k
    2Bv0 = 1, Bv0 + 2*Bv1 = 0

Solving gives what you're told it should.
  4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    I am able to get to this point
    2Bv0*k + (Bv0 + 2*Bv1) = k

Then you let k =1
    2Bv0 = 1, Bv0 + 2*Bv1 = 0
    but why 1? why not another number? how do i know what number should it be?

Also the second part is grouped in parenthesis but is not a root, how come you are allowed to do that?

Sorry if the questions are silly but i am really confused.

5. Mar 9, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

No you are totally mis-understanding what's going on.

k is the variable in the equation (like perhaps you may be familar with using say x or t in a continuous system).

So imagine you had to solve the following equation (assummed true for all x) for the unknowns a and b,

[tex]a x + b = 2x + 5[/tex]

You see how I solve that equation to get a = 2 and b = 5 right. There was no setting x=1 or anything of the sort involved. Your situation involves exactly the same type of thing, can you follow?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  6. Mar 9, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Typo. You mean n= -1.

No. It is not the solution to the associated homogenous equation that is 0 when k= 0, it is the entire solution. Don't solve for C until you have the entire equation.

Yes, assuming a solution of the form yk= Ak+ B (I find "Bv0" and "Bv1" confusing and much too much work to type!) then yk+1= A(k+1)+ B= Ak+ A+ b so the equation yk+1+ yk= k becomes (Ak+ A+ B)+ (Ak+ B)= k. Doing the algebra, 2Ak+ A+2B= k. For that to be true for all k, we must have 2A= 1 and A+ 2B= 0. From the first, A= 1/2 and then 1/2+ 2B= 0 so B= -1/4.

As I said before, don't solve for C until you have the entire solution. The general solution to the equation is yk= C(-1)k+ (1/2)k- 1/4. Now, y0= C(-1)0+ (1/2)(0)- 1/4= C- 1/4= 0 so C= 1/4. The solution to your problem is yk= (1/4)(-1)k+ (1/2)k- 1/4.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. Mar 11, 2007 #6
    I see it is solving coefficients. I don't remember being taught that but thanks to clear things out.

Yes, it was (n = -1). My fault.

Sorry about the notations but i was just following the book; and i didn't know you could write superscripts and subscripts in this forum neither.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?