1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck With Energy Changes!

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    Info
    A model train has an electric motor to drive it. The current though the motor is controlled by a rheostat and when it is moving slowly the current is 0.5A and the voltage is 5V.

Data
    Total Power = 6W
    Power Developed By Motor = 2.5W
    Power Absorbed By Controller = 3.5W

Total Voltage = 12V
    Voltage Across Motor = 5V
    Voltage Across Controller = 7V

Current = 0.5A

Question
    Find the energy changes in:
    1. The controller
    2. The motor

Circuit Diagram
    Below is my diagram sketch of the circuit. Just click the link to look at it. It is a little rough but it should help you to understand my circuit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Moved to homework forum. Please be sure to post all homework questions in the homework forums, and show some of your work so that we can help you.

"Find the energy changes in the motor and controller" when what happens? When the rheostat is changed to some other setting? And to calculate energy, you need some time period specified, since E = P * t.

Can you please post the full Question, word-for-word?

4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    The question just says what is the energy change. The reason I am stuck is because it doesn't give me a time to work out energy. I know the formula EPT.

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, that makes no sense to me. Any chance you can ask the prof or TA for clarification?

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    Well I just worked out it means what the electrical energy changes to.

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you asking what a resistor turns electrical energy into?
    Or what a motor does with electrical energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?