Discover Energy Changes in a Model Train's Electric Motor and Controller

In summary, the conversation discusses the components and energy flow of a model train circuit, consisting of an electric motor, a rheostat, and a controller. When the motor is moving slowly, the current is 0.5A and the voltage is 5V, resulting in a total power of 6W, with 2.5W developed by the motor and 3.5W absorbed by the controller. The total voltage is 12V, with 5V across the motor and 7V across the controller. The question asks to find the energy changes in the motor and controller, but without a specific time frame or event specified, it is unclear what the question is asking for. Clarification from the professor or TA
Rapidfire
Info
A model train has an electric motor to drive it. The current though the motor is controlled by a rheostat and when it is moving slowly the current is 0.5A and the voltage is 5V.

Data
Total Power = 6W
Power Developed By Motor = 2.5W
Power Absorbed By Controller = 3.5W

Total Voltage = 12V
Voltage Across Motor = 5V
Voltage Across Controller = 7V

Current = 0.5A

Question
Find the energy changes in:
1. The controller
2. The motor

Circuit Diagram
Below is my diagram sketch of the circuit. Just click the link to look at it. It is a little rough but it should help you to understand my circuit.

Attachments

• motor-circuit.jpg
    motor-circuit.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moved to homework forum. Please be sure to post all homework questions in the homework forums, and show some of your work so that we can help you.

"Find the energy changes in the motor and controller" when what happens? When the rheostat is changed to some other setting? And to calculate energy, you need some time period specified, since E = P * t.

Can you please post the full Question, word-for-word?

The question just says what is the energy change. The reason I am stuck is because it doesn't give me a time to work out energy. I know the formula EPT.

Rapidfire said:
The question just says what is the energy change. The reason I am stuck is because it doesn't give me a time to work out energy. I know the formula EPT.

Sorry, that makes no sense to me. Any chance you can ask the prof or TA for clarification?

Well I just worked out it means what the electrical energy changes to.

Rapidfire said:
Well I just worked out it means what the electrical energy changes to.
Are you asking what a resistor turns electrical energy into?
Or what a motor does with electrical energy?

What is "Stuck With Energy Changes"?

"Stuck With Energy Changes" is a phrase often used to describe the concept of an energy transformation that is difficult or impossible to reverse.

What are some examples of "Stuck With Energy Changes"?

Some examples of "Stuck With Energy Changes" include irreversible chemical reactions, energy lost in the form of heat, and the depletion of non-renewable energy sources.

How does "Stuck With Energy Changes" relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

"Stuck With Energy Changes" is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy transformations will often result in some energy being lost or becoming unusable.

What are the implications of "Stuck With Energy Changes" for sustainable energy sources?

The concept of "Stuck With Energy Changes" highlights the importance of using sustainable energy sources that can be replenished and do not result in irreversible energy changes. This can help reduce the negative impacts of energy consumption on the environment.

How can we mitigate the effects of "Stuck With Energy Changes"?

One way to mitigate the effects of "Stuck With Energy Changes" is through efficient energy use and conservation. This can help reduce the amount of energy that is lost or becomes unusable. Additionally, investing in renewable energy sources can help decrease our reliance on non-renewable sources that are subject to irreversible energy changes.