Derivatives of Exponential Cosine Function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the first and second derivative of a given equation and then using it to prove a relationship between two variables. The process involves using substitutions and simplifying the equations. Despite some initial difficulty, the problem was eventually solved.
mitch_1211

Homework Statement

i need to find the first and second of derivative of this
θ(t) = A exp−λt cos(ωt) with (-lambda*t) being the power of exp

in order to substitute into here
I(theta) = −μθ(1st deriv of theta) + γθ(2nd deriv of theta)

and then prove that
λ = −γ/2I

Homework Equations

θ(t) = A exp−λt cos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

have tried deriving with wolfram alpha myself and have gotten very stuck:

1st deriv : http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP625719eec443gegicdc800005bha4ii759c7g9d9?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=342&h=36

2nd deriv: http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP809419eebe57538ah30200004hbcc464i71a2h1h?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=11&w=270&h=61

with l representing lambda.

any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a book keeping nightmare. The first derivative is pretty straight forward. I would start by letting U=-lambda*t*Cos(w*t) determine dU/dt. d(theta)/dt=d(theta)/dU*dU/dt. Make the same U substitution for the second derivative. It looks like it will get messy.

RTW69 said:
This looks like a book keeping nightmare. The first derivative is pretty straight forward. I would start by letting U=-lambda*t*Cos(w*t) determine dU/dt. d(theta)/dt=d(theta)/dU*dU/dt. Make the same U substitution for the second derivative. It looks like it will get messy.

very very messy...
this is my first lab for 2nd year uni physics. oh what joy lays ahead :P no it should be fine, this is one of the harder labs.

thanks for you advice!

mitch

What do μθ and γθ represent ?

SammyS said:
What do μθ and γθ represent ?

thanks for trying to help Sammy, I have since solved the problem. By letting each sin and cos equal zero, they can be eliminated and the equation will still hold. It's hard to explain here, but it worked out well.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It is often used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is it important to understand derivatives?

Understanding derivatives is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to analyze and predict changes in various systems and make informed decisions based on those predictions.

3. How do you calculate a derivative?

The most common method for finding a derivative is using the formula f'(x) = lim(h->0) [(f(x+h)-f(x))/h]. This is known as the limit definition of a derivative. There are also other methods such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule for finding derivatives of specific types of functions.

4. What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in calculating the speed and acceleration of moving objects, determining the optimal production levels in economics, and predicting future stock prices in finance.

5. What are some common challenges when working with derivatives?

Some common challenges when working with derivatives include understanding the various rules and formulas for finding derivatives, dealing with complex functions, and interpreting the results in the context of the problem at hand. It also requires a good understanding of algebra and calculus concepts.