1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck with this cubic equation

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Refer to attached image. Please help. It's due tomorrow.

2. Relevant equations
    Doesn't state

3. The attempt at a solution
    Refer to attached image

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2
    Hi Ameer:
    I also found two values for x for which f'=0, but my values are different than yours. Might you have copied the problem incorrectly?

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since the problem is shown as an image, I don't see how it could have been copied incorrectly. I'm wondering if there is a typo in the problem itself. I too get two values for critical points. The only way that there will be only one solution for x in solving for f'(x) = 0, is the the discrimant has to be zero. IOW, ##4c^2 - 24m = 0##. If ##c^2 = 8m##, the discriminant is ##32m - 24m = 8m##.

One comment about the OP's work: if ##c^2 = 8m##, then it's not necessarily true that ##c = 2\sqrt{2m}##. Corrected, it would be ##c = \pm 2\sqrt{2m}##.

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4

Mark44

6. Feb 12, 2017 #5
    I'm sorry. I'll check your link and won't post it like I did the next time. Thank you

7. Feb 12, 2017 #6
    Hi people. I emailed my teacher and he said that : CĀ² = 6M

There was a typing error on the page.

8. Feb 12, 2017 #7
  9. Feb 12, 2017 #8
    Got it, thanks guys

10. Feb 12, 2017 #9

Mark44

It's a lot simpler to NOT substitute for c^2 until later.
    If f'(x) = 0, then ##x = \frac{2c \pm \sqrt{4c^2 - 24m}}{12}##. Now, replace ##c^2## with 6m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted