Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Student banking

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1
    I am in the process of setting up one of those "free checking accounts" that most banks offer for students. I am looking at Wachovia, Bank of America and SunTrust (they have an ATM, where I will be). Does anyone have experience with these types of bank accounts? Also which bank should I go with?

The all provide basically the same services, like no minimum, no monthly payments, free visa check card, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No idea about the US, but if they offer an interest-free overdraft, check that they won't revoke it the moment you graduate.

4. Aug 12, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've always had free checking. I think any of the banks you listed should be fine.

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The one thing worth looking into is what other ATM's their card is compatible with. That way, if you travel away from school, you'll know you can use ATMs (even if there's a small fee). For example, when I was recently in Canada, they had ATMs that were Cirrus or Plus and one of the people I was with had some weird credit union ATM card that wasn't compatible with either network, so he had trouble finding an ATM machine that would take his card (find one that works with both of those since those are the two biggest networks in the US and Canada). They might all be the same, but just something worth looking into.

The other thing you can consider is where are their ATMs located, and how much do they charge to use an ATM not owned by the bank? Those two things can vary considerably. They all charge now, but you can find one with the lowest charge, and if you use a bank that has ATMs everywhere you'll want to use them, then you won't need to use other bank's ATMs anyway.

Other than that, free checking is pretty much the same everywhere. Oh, check if their overdraft fees are all the same too. You will want to be very careful not to become overdrawn, but if you do, you don't want to pay an arm and a leg in fees if you can avoid it.

6. Aug 12, 2005 #5
    I just moved and had to change banks since my old institution was a local credit union. We decided to go with Bank of America- I am really less than pleased so far... I am really irked by the fact that they charge me $2.50 when ever I use another banks ATM. And I have to wait a week to use any funds deposited with a personal check made out to me. VERY ANNOYING. We have only been with them for a week and I am seriously considering changing banks. A WEEK. Even when I write myself a check from another bank account I have... so retarded. Just ask them all sorts of questions before you decide to commit to any bank. In fact, I would suggest going to a local credit union- they are usually much more customer friendly. That is my advice.

7. Aug 12, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If your going to be doing any savings I suggest online banking sites like ING Direct. Banks like Wachovia, Bank of America, etc have terrible savings rates. You'll be lucky getting 0.65%. On the other hand ING is 3.15%.

8. Aug 12, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I've had a free checking account with Bank of America for about 7 years (it was Nations Bank when I opened it), but it isn't a student account. I've only had one problem with them. It was just after Christmas and my account was low, I don't remember exactly, say 350. I made a deposit of, say, 600, paid two other things, say, 30 and 50, then paid rent, about 400. Well, they took out the 400 first, putting me under and charging me the $30 overdraft fee, then took out the 30 and 50, charging me the $30 overdraft fee on each, then added my deposit, i.e., they processed them out of order to screw me out of the most money possible. :grumpy: I called and complained and got it fixed, but still - :grumpy: . It never happened again, and I don't know, maybe most banks are like that.

Oh, BTW, their check cards are through Visa - you can use them anywhere that accepts Visa, which is just about everywhere. I've never had a problem finding an ATM, and I've never been charged by the bank for using non-BoA ATMs (though some ATMs themselves charge fees), but that could just be the type of account I have.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  9. Aug 12, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Things I liked about my student account:

- Overdraft was genuinely free (no interest whatsoever)
    - Overdraft increased by £250 for each year I was at uni
    - Overdraft was not cancelled after graduation
    - Overdraft continued after graduation, and is reduced by the same amount it was increased to begin with

Oh, and I got £50 just for choosing by bank (which shall remain Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation).

In short, if you're a student (and not excessively rich), you'll need a big overdraft. Find a bank who like giving you overdrafts!

10. Aug 12, 2005 #9

Evo

Debits are posted before credits during the same day. Deposits made after 2pm usually don't even count until the next day. It was good you caught what happened and got reimbursed. I'm so busy, I rarely check my statements. :redface: Luckily I've had my account with my bank for many years and they know me personally, so I don't have to worry.

Norman, since your account is new, holding certain deposits is pretty standard. If you have a spotless credit record and no history of bounced checks and a glowing long term account at your previous bank, I would have them reconsider your standing, if not, you probably won't be treated differently at another bank.

Moonbear has a good point about who the bank's ATM or debit card is through.

11. Aug 12, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think anything like that exists anywhere in the US. They're all going to charge you if you overdraft, and if you don't resolve it quickly, they'll close your account and until you resolve it, you won't be able to open an account with anyone else either (they all share this information somewhere, somehow).

12. Aug 12, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By overdraft, I mean an agreed one. The bank say they'll let you go, say, £1500 into the red with no penalty, but if you overstep it (without agreeing it first) then they'll charge you for it. Extremely handy feature, and much cheaper than credit from a loan or credit card.

13. Aug 12, 2005 #12

Evo

I don't think overdraft policies are that liberal in the US.

14. Aug 12, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I suspect any bank in the US would tell you to apply for a loan or a credit card. All of the banks offer credit cards and will happily charge you 19% interest if you don't have a good credit record, but they're not going to give you a free loan by letting you draw your account into a negative balance.

15. Aug 12, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One more reason to be happy to be in the UK! :smile:

16. Aug 12, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

At my bank, $200 of any deposit is available immediately (as long as the deposit eventually clears, I guess). I don't remember the exact amounts, but the overdraft was less than $200. And they even took the debits out of order; If they took them out in the order in which I made them, I would have been covered for the first two and only been penalized for the last one. I don't usually pay close attention to my account either, but I noticed a $90 difference, especially since I was low anyway. I've been happy with them otherwise.

17. Aug 12, 2005 #16

Evo

I think the $200 is a policy at my bank also, but I've been there long enough that nothing I deposit is held, I just remember seeing a sign in the window recently about policy to hold deposits (of course that is always at the bank's discretion). The debits would have been subtracted in the order which the clerk received them for input, not the order in which they were written. Unfortunately no one takes the time to hold them all separately by each individual account and then debit them in the order that would make best use of your money, that is why it is wise to do as you did and bring this to the bank's attention. The clerk is inputting thousands of transactions in numerous accounts and not just working on one account at a time (which is what we'd like to think).

18. Aug 12, 2005 #17
    The main reason that I am looking at suntrust is because they have an ATM on my campus. Definitely this would allow me to avoid the additional ATM costs, where applicable. I do not know much about the history of these banks but BoA and Wachovia seem to be more "popular" than SunTrust.

I will definitely try to avoid any overdrafting since that seems to be a common thing. One thing I like is the fact that they all give you a visa check card, and they all seem to be cirrus compatible.

19. Aug 12, 2005 #18

Evo

Charges to use an ATM machine outside of your bank is usually only $1 or $1.50, it's not even enough to bother thinking about.

20. Aug 12, 2005 #19
    My mommy did my Suntrust account for me! :biggrin:

Yeah I'm spoiled. :tongue:

21. Aug 13, 2005 #20

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Entropy, its not that hard. You go to the bank and ask to open a checking account. They give you a form to fill out, show them some id, give them an initial deposit and then they give you some pamphlets and your acccount number. They then tell you that you'll recieve your atm card and checks in the mail. Bam, your done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?