1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Student Jobs

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    I am currently an undergraduate studying physics, and am looking to get a part time job to make money. Are there any jobs that would be relevant and useful to a carreer as a physicist that someone with no college degree could get?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well things that include programming, if you know some, is always good. And maybe helping out at tutorials at summer schools for high school (kids left behind in math and science)?

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3
    See if you can get a part time gig in a lab on campus. Oftentimes this is just for credit instead of pay, but there are professors who will offer pay. Some schools let undergraduates be TAs as well. At my school, most of the physics, math, and CS TAs are undergraduates (I go to an engineering school, though, so there is a very high demand for TAs in these subjects).

5. Jul 9, 2009 #4
    Seconding what Monocles said, but also adding that some schools will pay students to be notetakers in classes.

6. Jul 25, 2009 #5
    Advice

Firstly,you must concentrate on your studies.If you really want to do job,you must search on the web.All the best...........:cool:

7. Jul 25, 2009 #6
    As some who did coop in undergrad I can tell you your options: find a prof who will take you on as a summer student, code monkey work, medical physics.

8. Jul 25, 2009 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are lots of jobs available that can help your career as a physicist. Some of them are listed above, but don't be afraid to think outside of the box a little too. Often it's the experience that you get from a part-time job while in undergrad that can mean the difference in getting your first career-type job, especially if you want to look outside of academia.

Some suggestions:
    - ask professors if they have any summer or part-time positions in their labs
    - join the military reserves (I believe this is called National Guard in the US)
    - start writing a science column for your school paper (this may start out as volunteer work at first, but you never know where it could lead)
    - tutoring and later working as a TA in first year labs
    - working at a science centre as a demonstrator
    - science camp concillor
    - intern at an engineering firm
    - through your physics (or any) department may be able to get work assisting with the planning, organisation, technical setup of conferences
    - technical sales (any sales position can help you get into this field)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook