1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Student of physics with OCD

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    I need some help regarding some stuff.
    I'm now a 3rd year student of physics, my Uni which is the most resp ectble and affordable in my country,which i was capable to go to.
    The uni use the old french system of education , you choose what you want to study(math , physics ,....),and they have a one program for everyone,meaning no credit or anything , i have about ~25 course to take in last 3 years (first year we take the baiscs).
    Anyway I still have a 4th year to do , my degree will be equivalent to Master1 (europen system),But it will be a degree in General physics.
    I want after I finish my 4th year , to go to france to continue In QCD trough my Master2 and Phd degrees, I looked up what i should continue in my Master2 degree.
    Now to come to the problem I found there is an educational gap for me between my 4th year and over there.
    For example One of the course i'll be taking is QFT,well I studied Varaitional Mechanics and the Lagrangien and Hamiltonien formalism ,but we only took a introduction , I never studied Field theory.
    If it's neccecary I will translate the material will be studied to english,I have to know what previous formalism will be need for me to be able to continue.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    So are you asking what you need to know before you can study QCD ?

Well, that's "easy" : QFT

I recommend books like QFT in a Nutshell by A. Zee to start with.
    Then Peskin, Weinberg, etc etc...

marlon

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3
    Good , i have another question if for example i was to continue my studies in subatomic physics will it be a good way to start from,Since i couldn't really find something more specific ?

BTW I was recommanded for Peskin , I have a feeling it will be a good book to get,And i was recommanded to get F.mandel QFT book.

I have 3 books called:
    - Subatomic Physics By Hans Frauenfelder and Ernest M.Henly
    - Nuclear Physics By Daniel Blanc (it's in french)
    - Gauge Field Theory An Introduction By J.Leite Lopes
    are they any good?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?