1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Student on a Turntable

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student of mass m=40 kg is standing on the edge of a uniform, frictionless turntable, with diameter d = 5m and mass M=400 kg. The student and the turntable are initially rotating counterclockwise together about a fixed axis through the center of the turntable with an angular velocity of wi = 2 rev/min.
    The student now start to walk around the edge of the turntable so that the turntable comes to rest. What is the resulting speed v of the student relative to someone standing next to the turntable? In what direction is the student walking, clockwise or counter clockwise?

2. Relevant equations
    conversion of rev/min to rad/s = rev/min * 1min/60s * 2(pi)/1rev
    Conservation of angular momentum:
    Li = Lf

3. The attempt at a solution
    (Iturntable + Istudent)wi = Iturntable(wf) + Istudent(wfinal for student)
    ( (1/2)(400)(2.5)2 + (40)(2.5)2) (.209) = ( (1/2)(400)(2.5)2) (0) + ( (40)(2.5)2 ) wf

Solve for wf and I got 1.254 rad/s
    Then use v = (r)wf = (2.5)(1.254) = 3.135 m/s
    The student is walking in the counterclockwise direction

Can someone let me know if this is right? I thought it was too easy for a 30 point question

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't plug in the numbers, but the method looks OK.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook