Why do students struggle with math and word problems?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, students fear and struggle so much with math, particularly word problems, because of societal attitudes that it is okay to fail at it. Lack of confidence is one reason. More practice is one remedy.
mathdad
Why do you think students fear and struggle so much with math, particularly word problems?

Science news on Phys.org
That's a broad statement - it's just not true. Some students struggle with word problems. Why? Lack of confidence is one reason. More practice is one remedy.

greg1313 said:
That's a broad statement - it's just not true. Some students struggle with word problems. Why? Lack of confidence is one reason. More practice is one remedy.

I must disagree. There are students in the NYC public schools, for example, graduating from high school every June who cannot solve linear equations much less applications. Lacking confidence is not the same thing as classroom information just not sinking deep into the mind.

There is another group of students who absolutely love math but just cannot grasp the material after tutoring, video clips, teacher help in the after school program, etc. I blame no one EXCEPT that some minds are simply not made to grasp numbers. Think about it.

RTCNTC said:
...I blame no one EXCEPT that some minds are simply not made to grasp numbers. Think about it.

I disagree with this...I think it is the societal attitude that it's okay to fail at math that is part of the problem. Someone says to their friends, "I'm so bad at math, I can't even balance my checkbook." People laugh and agree they are the same (it's all Greek to me!) as if they are part of a club, and there is no loss of reputation.

Now, imagine if someone tells their friends, "I am so illiterate, I have trouble reading road signs." People would likely fall awkwardly silent and the speaker would likely decline seriously in the estimation of their friends. There is very little stigma associated with being a complete failure at basic mathematics...yet those who are proficient at elementary mathematics are labeled as "Einsteins" and nerds, etc. by the general public.

I firmly believe that the average person can learn to be proficient in elementary algebra, geometry, and even some of the concepts of the calculus. But, as long as society excuses, in fact even encourages innumeracy, most people have no motivation to change, to make the effort to do what they would be able to do if they would simply apply themselves.

RTCNTC said:
I must disagree. There are students in the NYC public schools, for example, graduating from high school every June who cannot solve linear equations much less applications. Lacking confidence is not the same thing as classroom information just not sinking deep into the mind.

There is another group of students who absolutely love math but just cannot grasp the material after tutoring, video clips, teacher help in the after school program, etc. I blame no one EXCEPT that some minds are simply not made to grasp numbers. Think about it.

I disagree. I believe what I wrote is one valid scenario where a student may be "afraid" of word problems, together with one valid remedy. You cannot honestly say that this is not a valid example, can you? The scenario you describe may also exist but I think that every student, excepting "special" cases, is capable of averaging at least 60 to 65 percent in any well-taught math class. You seem given to cynicism - why always focus on the negative aspects of education? We all know what most of the problems are - what are the solutions?

MarkFL said:
I disagree with this...I think it is the societal attitude that it's okay to fail at math that is part of the problem. Someone says to their friends, "I'm so bad at math, I can't even balance my checkbook." People laugh and agree they are the same (it's all Greek to me!) as if they are part of a club, and there is no loss of reputation.

Now, imagine if someone tells their friends, "I am so illiterate, I have trouble reading road signs." People would likely fall awkwardly silent and the speaker would likely decline seriously in the estimation of their friends. There is very little stigma associated with being a complete failure at basic mathematics...yet those who are proficient at elementary mathematics are labeled as "Einsteins" and nerds, etc. by the general public.

I firmly believe that the average person can learn to be proficient in elementary algebra, geometry, and even some of the concepts of the calculus. But, as long as society excuses, in fact even encourages innumeracy, most people have no motivation to change, to make the effort to do what they would be able to do if they would simply apply themselves.

You know me by now. I am the guy who loves math but continues to struggle with precalculus, not every topic in precalculus, but mainly word problems. Take probability, for example. I think probability word problems are fuzzy in every sense.

I am not talking simple probability. For example: There is a 30 percent chance of rain tomorrow. What is the P(no rain tomorrow)? Of course, we both know the answer is 1 - 0.30, right? I am talking about the addition rule and multiplication rules in probability and more advanced applications.

There is NO ONE, I mean NO ONE in your circle of friends that simply loves mathematics as much I do but most word problems, not all, kick my behind every single time. Of course, I am a product of the horrific NYC public school system. This is not an excuse but a reality to thousands of NYC students.

greg1313 said:
I disagree. I believe what I wrote is one valid scenario where a student may be "afraid" of word problems, together with one valid remedy. You cannot honestly say that this is not a valid example, can you? The scenario you describe may also exist but I think that every student, excepting "special" cases, is capable of averaging at least 60 to 65 percent in any well-taught math class. You seem given to cynicism - why always focus on the negative aspects of education? We all know what most of the problems are - what are the solutions?

1. I am not cynical in any way. I am realistic.

2. Students are "afraid" of word problems for various reasons.

3. I believe that certain students are told by a corrupting school system that they are slow learners or indirectly dumb. If you tell a group of students over and over again that they do not have what it takes to grasp math, they will believe it and fail.

I think everyone is capable of some capacity with numbers, and should attain what they can. (The same goes for words, of course.) I think some of the problem here is teaching methodologies, and choice of curriculum. The curriculum needs to be pared down considerably, and what remains ought to be hammered to mastery. I think the Trachtenberg Speed System of Arithmetic ought to be taught to everyone. I think word problems should be introduced much earlier, like Singapore Math does. I have lots of ideas, some of them tried (like Trachtenberg in Switzerland with absolutely spectacular results), and some of them completely untried (like teaching the basic facts of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics to elementary-grade students, then the logic of those subjects in middle school, and then applications, heavy-duty problem-solving, and presentations in high school). Lots of people have opinions. I think a lot of it comes down to the teachers, many of whom hate math, and the ridiculous curriculum used in many parts of the world. Finland seems to have a good notion of curriculum.

What about TEACHING THE TEST? Students are bombarded with techniques all day long about how to pass standardized exams but zero to no learning is going on. What do you say?

RTCNTC said:
What about TEACHING THE TEST? Students are bombarded with techniques all day long about how to pass standardized exams but zero to no learning is going on. What do you say?

I would certainly agree that this is a problem. Standardized tests are only so valuable. Some of them are worth keeping, but it's never worth the teacher's time to teach to the test. If students want to take standardized tests, they can study on their own time.

We have an educational crisis across the USA. High school students reading at the middle school years means something is very wrong.

RTCNTC said:
We have an educational crisis across the USA. High school students reading at the middle school years means something is very wrong.

If I had to point my finger in anyone direction, it would be at parents.

1. Why do students fear word problems?

There are a few reasons why students may fear word problems. One common reason is that word problems often require critical thinking and application of multiple concepts, which can be challenging for some students. Additionally, word problems can be presented in unfamiliar or complex language, making them difficult to understand. Lastly, students may fear word problems because they are often graded on their ability to solve them, leading to performance anxiety.

2. How can teachers help students overcome their fear of word problems?

Teachers can help students overcome their fear of word problems by providing ample practice opportunities and breaking down the problem-solving process step-by-step. They can also use real-life examples or relate the word problems to topics that students are interested in. It's also essential for teachers to create a supportive and non-judgmental classroom environment where students feel comfortable asking for help.

3. Are there any specific strategies for solving word problems?

Yes, there are various strategies for solving word problems. One common strategy is to read the problem multiple times to fully understand the given information. Students can also use visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, to help them visualize the problem. Breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts can also make it easier to solve. Additionally, students can use trial and error or work backward techniques to solve more complex word problems.

4. How can parents support their children in overcoming their fear of word problems?

Parents can support their children by encouraging them to practice regularly and providing them with additional resources, such as workbooks or online tutorials. It's also crucial for parents to create a positive attitude towards word problems and avoid conveying their own negative feelings about them. Parents can also work with their children to break down and solve word problems together, building their child's confidence and skills.

5. Can fear of word problems be overcome?

Yes, fear of word problems can be overcome with practice, patience, and a positive attitude. As students become more familiar with different types of word problems and gain confidence in their problem-solving abilities, their fear will likely diminish. It's also essential for students to understand that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process, and it's okay to ask for help when needed.