1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Students not Going to School

1. Oct 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1/4 of all the juniors and 2/3 of all the seniors are going on a trip. If there are 2/3 as many juniors as seniors, what fraction of the students are not going on the trip?

2. Relevant equations
    Simple fraction based equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not Going to Trip = 1/4Juniors(J) + 2/3Seniors(S)

I am not able to solve it completely because I cant understand what is meant by "2/3 as many juniors as seniors". I think that J=2/3S.

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is correct. What fraction of all students are then juniors?

4. Oct 21, 2017 #3
    Hi,
    It is not given in the question. I am not able to understand:
    there are 2/3 as many juniors as seniors

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

5. Oct 21, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have already been told that your expression ##J = (2/3)S## is correct.

6. Oct 21, 2017 #5
    Hi,
    Trip= 1/J + 2/3*3/2J
    Trip= 5J/4
    Now we have three unknowns and two equations. How can we solve it? Should we suppose value.

Zulfi.

7. Oct 21, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing a crucial assumption that is subtextual. How large a fraction of the total students are juniors or seniors?

8. Oct 21, 2017 #7
    Hi,
    I have not considered students not going to trip but it would create one more unknown. How to solve this problem.

Zulf.

9. Oct 21, 2017 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By thinking about the hints you are given and using them instead of ignoring them. You have still to answer the question posed in both post #2 and #6.

10. Oct 21, 2017 #9
    Hi,
    Post#2 answer= 5j/4 (as shown in post#5)
    Post#6 answer=I don't know. (You are asking for large. However Question is not asking any large value. It is asking what fraction of students did not go for the trip.)
    Kindly tell me if my post#2 answer is correct or not??

Zulfi.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  11. Oct 21, 2017 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From post #2:
    No, this isn't possible. The number of juniors can't be 5/4 of the number of juniors.

The question does not ask for the total numbers of juniors and seniors. Further, there isn't enough information given to be able to determine these numbers. However, there is enough information to answer the question.

I'll try to help you get started in a more organized way.
    Let J = the number of juniors
    Let S = the number of seniors
    • The number of juniors and seniors is J + S
    • The number of juniors and seniors going on the trip is ##\frac J 4 + \frac{2S} 3## -- you have this in post #1
    • It's given that there are 2/3 as many juniors as seniors, so ##J = \frac 2 3 S## -- you also have this in post #1

Now, what expression represents the total number of juniors and seniors NOT going on the trip?

Once you have that, you can write a fraction that represents the fraction of juniors and seniors not going on the trip.

12. Oct 29, 2017 #11
    Hi,
    I found that deriving equation is really a difficult for me. So i have switched to using values. This is what GRE is also doing. However, i did not look at their solution but my answer is correct.

JTrip = 1/4J
    STrip = 2/3S
    Now its given J= (2/3)S
    At this point its clear that Senior S is greater than Junior J. So lets chose 90 as the value for S.
    J=(2/3 ) 90 = 60
    Now JTrip = (1/4) * 60 = 15
    STrip = (2/3) * 90 = 60
    Total on Trip = 60 +15 = 75
    Total in School = 90 + 60 = 150
    Total not in Trip = 150-75=75
    Fraction = 75/150 = 1/2

Zulfi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted