How to Determine the Constant c for a t-Student Distribution in Statistics?

• Thread starter kcirick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the first formula calculates the t statistic using the sample mean and standard deviation, while the second formula calculates the t statistic using the population mean and the sample standard deviation divided by the square root of n. The second formula also has a different degree of freedom calculation, resulting in n degrees of freedom instead of n-1.
kcirick
Question:
Consider n+1 mutually independent random variables [itex]x+i[/itex] from a normal distribution [itex]N(\mu ,\sigma ^{2})[/itex]. Define:

[tex] \bar{x} = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n}{x_{i}} [/tex] and [tex]s^{2}=\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}{\left(x_{i} - \bar{x}\right)^{2}}[/tex]

Find the constant c so that the statistic

[tex] t= c\frac{\bar{x} - x_{n+1}}{s} [/tex]

follows a t-student law. Find the degrees of freedom. Justify.

What I have so far:
Not much, but for a statistic to follow Student T distribution with n-1:

[tex]t=\frac{\bar{x}-\mu}{s / \sqrt{n}} [/tex]

Because we have n+1 random variables, and s has n degrees of freedome, the resulting student t distribution will have n degree of freedoms (if s is sample standard deviation, it should have n-1 degrees of freedom). I also just expanded the above equation:

[tex] t=c \frac {\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}{x_{i}}-x_{n+1}}{\left(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(x_{i} - \bar{x}\right)^{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}} [/tex]

But what next? Can someone help? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the two differences between the formula

[tex] t= \frac{\bar{x} - x_{n+1}}{s} [/tex]

and

[tex]t=\frac{\bar{x}-\mu}{s / \sqrt{n}} [/tex]
?

I can provide a response to this question. First, we need to understand the concept of degrees of freedom in statistics. Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent pieces of information available to estimate a parameter or variable. In this case, we have n+1 random variables, but we are only estimating the parameters \mu and \sigma^2. Therefore, the degrees of freedom for this problem would be n-1.

To find the constant c, we can use the definition of a t-distribution, which is given by:

t=\frac{Z}{\sqrt{\frac{\chi^{2}}{n}}}

where Z is a standard normal variable, \chi^2 is a chi-square variable with n-1 degrees of freedom, and n is the sample size. In our case, n is n+1, but since we are estimating two parameters, the degrees of freedom for \chi^2 would be n-1. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

t=\frac{Z}{\sqrt{\frac{\chi^{2}}{n-1}}}

Substituting in the given values for \bar{x} and s^2, we get:

t=\frac{\frac{\bar{x}-\mu}{\sigma/\sqrt{n}}}{\sqrt{\frac{\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}{\left(x_{i}-\bar{x}\right)^{2}}}{n-1}}}

Simplifying this equation, we get:

t=\frac{\bar{x}-\mu}{s\sqrt{\frac{n}{\left(n-1\right)\sigma^{2}}}}

Comparing this to the given equation, we can see that c=\sqrt{\frac{n}{\left(n-1\right)\sigma^{2}}}

Therefore, to ensure that t follows a t-student distribution, we need to multiply the given equation by \sqrt{\frac{n}{\left(n-1\right)\sigma^{2}}} . This would result in:

t=\sqrt{\frac{n}{\left(n-1\right)\sigma^{2}}}\frac{\bar{x}-x_{n+1}}{s}

The degrees of freedom for this t-distribution would be n-1, as we have n+1 random variables but are estimating two parameters.

In conclusion, the constant c for the given equation is \

1. What is a "Student's Test Question"?

A "Student's Test Question" is a question that is typically given to students in an academic setting, such as a classroom or exam, to assess their knowledge and understanding of a particular subject. It can come in various forms, such as multiple choice, short answer, or essay questions.

2. How are "Student's Test Questions" different from regular questions?

Unlike regular questions that are used for communication or gathering information, "Student's Test Questions" are specifically designed to test a student's understanding and application of a particular subject. They often require critical thinking and may have specific guidelines or requirements for a correct answer.

3. Can students prepare for "Student's Test Questions"?

Yes, students can prepare for "Student's Test Questions" by studying and reviewing the material covered in class. They can also practice with past exams or sample questions to familiarize themselves with the format and content of the test.

4. How are "Student's Test Questions" graded?

The grading of "Student's Test Questions" can vary depending on the specific test and instructor. Some questions may be graded on a point system, while others may be graded on a scale or based on specific criteria. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions for each question to ensure the best possible grade.

5. Are "Student's Test Questions" important?

Yes, "Student's Test Questions" are important as they serve as a way to assess and measure a student's understanding and mastery of a subject. They also provide valuable feedback to both the student and instructor on areas of strength and weakness, allowing for further learning and improvement.