1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studentship

1. Mar 3, 2004 #1
    I am an able minded AS-level (England) student and wish to study physics (not totaly sure what branch) at a university in 2 years time (2005). I would very much like to gain a studentship so that i can be certain of a job in an exciting and rewarding career in physics. I realise that physics students are declining, and that companies are wanting to offer studentships to students.

If anyone knows anything about, or wishes to offer/interest me in, a studentship, dont hesitate to reply or cotact me at king_rattis@hotmail.com

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2004 #2
    oo o o o

Some one my age on PF Discussion Board......

What school r u at?

4. Mar 3, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

im two years older but still in college...too much sex and drugs and rock and roll in the first year.... minus the sex and drugs. :wink:

5. Mar 4, 2004 #4
    Im at North Devon College. What about you?

6. Mar 5, 2004 #5
    I'm at Eton College. Sux alot

What uni u planin on goin to?

7. Mar 5, 2004 #6
    Well oxford would be very nice, but i doubt i will get in there. I hear Durham is not bad for physics

8. Mar 5, 2004 #7
    Imperial YAY!:smile:

I really dont know if i want to apply for Oxford..

It all seems too much work there

9. Mar 5, 2004 #8
    This is probably slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering for a bit.

How does the school system in the UK work? I'm only familiar with the US system, probably because I'm a US student, but I've been seeing a lot about this AS business on these boards. And I'd never heard of a "studentship" until this thread, so.

Sorry for being ignorant. I'm just a sheltered little US student.

cookiemonster

10. Mar 6, 2004 #9
    Well, there's the State System which I'm not too sure about.

The private system includes,

every one has to take GCSE's at 15-16 years old. you take around 9-11 subjects and everyone takes Maths and English

one can then leave school but most people in the private sector take AS and A-levels. one usually takes 3 or 4. the AS level is an extenstion of the A level.

i.e. So u take an AS level in physics when ur 16-17 and then the A level exams in physics at 17-18 and both the AS and A level exams count towards ur A level.

Then entrance to Uni is based on ur A-level results.

11. Mar 7, 2004 #10
    The state system is exactly the same but one doesnot have to pay fees.

You dont have to get a studentship, its just something i would like, a compnay invests in a student so that they will have workers in the future. perhaps its called a sponsorship not studentship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?