Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!


  1. Mar 3, 2004 #1
    I am an able minded AS-level (England) student and wish to study physics (not totaly sure what branch) at a university in 2 years time (2005). I would very much like to gain a studentship so that i can be certain of a job in an exciting and rewarding career in physics. I realise that physics students are declining, and that companies are wanting to offer studentships to students.

    If anyone knows anything about, or wishes to offer/interest me in, a studentship, dont hesitate to reply or cotact me at king_rattis@hotmail.com
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2004 #2
    oo o o o

    Some one my age on PF Discussion Board......

    What school r u at?
  4. Mar 3, 2004 #3

    jimmy p

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    im two years older but still in college...too much sex and drugs and rock and roll in the first year.... minus the sex and drugs. :wink:
  5. Mar 4, 2004 #4
    Im at North Devon College. What about you?
  6. Mar 5, 2004 #5
    I'm at Eton College. Sux alot

    What uni u planin on goin to?
  7. Mar 5, 2004 #6
    Well oxford would be very nice, but i doubt i will get in there. I hear Durham is not bad for physics
  8. Mar 5, 2004 #7
    Imperial YAY!:smile:

    I really dont know if i want to apply for Oxford..

    It all seems too much work there
  9. Mar 5, 2004 #8
    This is probably slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering for a bit.

    How does the school system in the UK work? I'm only familiar with the US system, probably because I'm a US student, but I've been seeing a lot about this AS business on these boards. And I'd never heard of a "studentship" until this thread, so.

    Sorry for being ignorant. I'm just a sheltered little US student.

  10. Mar 6, 2004 #9
    Well, there's the State System which I'm not too sure about.

    The private system includes,

    every one has to take GCSE's at 15-16 years old. you take around 9-11 subjects and everyone takes Maths and English

    one can then leave school but most people in the private sector take AS and A-levels. one usually takes 3 or 4. the AS level is an extenstion of the A level.

    i.e. So u take an AS level in physics when ur 16-17 and then the A level exams in physics at 17-18 and both the AS and A level exams count towards ur A level.

    Then entrance to Uni is based on ur A-level results.
  11. Mar 7, 2004 #10
    The state system is exactly the same but one doesnot have to pay fees.

    You dont have to get a studentship, its just something i would like, a compnay invests in a student so that they will have workers in the future. perhaps its called a sponsorship not studentship.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook