Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studies and posts will be deleted

1. Aug 8, 2004 #1
    Looks like my abstracts will be deleted even though they are abstracts of clinical studies and not copyrighted articles. Its called educational material and they all come from a governmental source. Each study has the author and where the study was performed, so the source of the article and the authors are provided. I have used these studies on many forums and this is the first time I have been given any problems. Looks like some do not know how abstracts work. I have been given a warning. Although I remember seeing other studies posted that were copied from websites and were part of actual articles, and they are still there. Some ask for science, and when I provide it, I am given a warning. Truly odd! :grumpy:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to look into this, it seems to me you are in your right..

4. Aug 8, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bobf, I am the one that raised the concern over possible copyright issues since you did not provide links or state your sources.

As long as you provide this information, there isn't a problem. It was just meant as heads up, I do not believe you will be getting a warning as long as you show our sources.

5. Aug 8, 2004 #4
    I already received a warning and all of the sources are provided at the beginning of the abstracts, for example:

Department of Human Genetics, Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City 84112, USA

Is the location and:

Jorde LB, Bamshad MJ, Watkins WS, Zenger R, Fraley AE, Krakowiak PA, Carpenter KD, Soodyall H, Jenkins T, Rogers AR.

Are the authors, not sure what else I can add to that :confused: I actually feel a little insulted since I didn't just go out to websites and pick up studies out of biased articles. All of these studies were published in peer reviewed journals. Such material is not copy written since it is only an abstract, sources sited, and is being used as educational material. In addition, these abstracts are owned by public institutions such as the college in which they were performed. I will try to dig up more copyright information on the topic.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  6. Aug 8, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For example, your post 13, there is no reference as to where you got this or that it is an abstract taken from the Pub Med website and that there is a charge to view the entire article. Information like this is most helpful to someone that may want to see what the whole article is about, it's also proper reference back to the sight that is hosting it.

Great posts btw!

7. Aug 8, 2004 #6
    Thank you,

Actually, all posts come from PubMed, but were published in peer reviewed journals.

Bobf.

8. Aug 8, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi bobf, you see it was based on a mis-communication.. I will remove the warnings and put the posts back up :biggrin:

But Evo is right that you should cite the journal in which it was published: it will tell us something about the credibility and also: the journal holds the copywrite and not the author.

9. Aug 8, 2004 #8
    Thank you, will do from now on.

Bob

10. Aug 8, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry about that bobf, one our mentors reported copyright violation and I just acted without thoroughly reading the posts! I sincerely apologize for the mistake.

- Warren

11. Aug 8, 2004 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For anyone's benefit, a correctly cited article should include the following information:
    Authors (for more than 2 authors, you can cite the first author followed by "et al.")
    Year of publication
    Article Title
    Journal Title
    Journal Volume
    Journal Pages

Anything extra is great, like links, issue numbers, PMID, ISSN, but are not required. The above information can get you to the full text of any article by going to a library and requesting it (the libraries pay more for the subscription than an individual subscriber because it is anticipated they have many readers, so that's why borrowing material from a library isn't violating copyright laws).

If you're missing any of the above information, it limits the ability of someone to seek out the article for themself, and thus is considered an incomplete citation.

12. Aug 8, 2004 #11
    Thanks everyone, I will try and do a better job citing information.

Bobf :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?