1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study breaks

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1
    We have been discussing this topic with my classmates recently, and I find it quite interesting, so I also want to ask you guys:
    1. For how long can you study without taking a break?
    2. How long are your breaks?
    3. What do you do in the breaks?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2
    1. Generally about 50 minutes at a time. This is to avoid that phase that a lot of students get into where they're just having a staring contest with their textbooks and not learning anything. I study intensely for 50 minutes, reviewing or reading, and then...
    2. Take a 5-10 minute break, in which I just...
    3. Get up and walk around or just read a few pages of a book. Anything that isn't studying or sitting around.
  4. Dec 31, 2008 #3
    I think this depends on your interest.
    For example:

1)I could study classical mechanics for 5 hours straight; this includes working extra problems for fun. As for Analog circuits, about an hour to an hour and a half.
    2) My breaks are usually half an hour.
    3)Play NHL 2002, or watch the television box.
  5. Dec 31, 2008 #4
    1. 2-3 hours a sitting
    2. 2 hours
    3. eat, watch tv, internet (guess what it is now?)

ive never liked the 15min ones every hour, because you anticipate them too often and keep checking the clock. well, i speak for myself anyways.
  6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    1. An hour. One can study for several hours on end, but I find that I learn the most when I have one very productive hour of studying followed by
    2. at least an hour of break where I
    3. don't do anything that requires much thinking and where you can let your mind ponder what you've just studied. If it's warm out, taking a walk is ideal.

The worst thing you can do is to, as MissSilvy said, have a staring contest with your book because not only are you not getting anything done, but you won't regain your attention span until you take a break.
  7. Jan 1, 2009 #6
    1.) Depends on the subject, I tend to study the subjects that give me trouble the most.
    2.) 30-ish minutes
    3.) I usually play guitar or talk to others in my dorm, just relax a bit essentially.
  8. Jan 1, 2009 #7
    1. Depends on a lot of factors I'm not sure of. Sometimes I have to take a break every hour or so, sometimes its like 4-5.

2. 10-15 minutes.

3. Play guitar, go on facebook, chat over IM, talk to random people, or just chill and listen to music usually.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?