Is Separating Negative Numbers in Math Valid?

• Thread starter Delzac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: Your teacher's explanation is correct. When dealing with square roots, it is important to remember the order of operations (PEMDAS) and to work from the inside out. In the expression sqrt(-1*-1), the negative numbers inside the parentheses should be multiplied first, giving you (-1)^2 = 1. Then, taking the square root of 1 gives you 1 as the final answer. So, the statement "1 = sqrt(1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=i*i=-1" is not valid.

Interesting?

• Ha ha very amusing!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Hell no so boring!

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Delzac
Hi all,

Just some interesting stuff to share.

Study = Don't Fail--------(1)
Don't Study = Fail--------(2)

Add (1) &(2)

Study + Don't Study = Don't Fail + Fail

Factorising the equation,

Study(1+Don't) = Fail(1+Don't)

Study = Fail !?!

:P

Delzac

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing (1) by (2)
study/(don't study) = (don't fail)/fail
Hence 1/(don't) = don't
Or don't =1 or -1

If don't = -1
1+don't = 0
Division by 0 is illegal.

If don't =1 (the multiplicative identity), then (1) and (2), both become: study=fail,
which is not inconsistent with the final result.

Last edited:
lol didn't notice thanks for the note:blushing:

hmm...if Don't = 1 then it takes the fun out of things already, but is can't be -1 also...zzzzz i will try think of a better equation. ^^

Try this one (which is a rather old "puzzle")

1 = sqrt(1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=i*i=-1

so 1 = -1 !

[Now before people jump all over me on that, I KNOW where the fault is].

Zz.

I've got a good one:

Women = Money * Time

Time = Money (Time is money!)

Women = (Money)^2

Money = sqrt(Evil) (Money is the ROOT of all evil...)

So, Women = Evil :devil:

Of course I've known this all along, I just have a mathematical proof of it now :rofl:

Nice one mech, how very true.

Anyway referring back to zapper, something must be wrong, but i just can't a hand to it. take this for example.

1 = sqrt(1) = sqrt( -1*-1) = sqrt( (-1)^2 ) = (-1)^(2/2) = -1 ??

For now i can't solve, i will get back to you later.

The answer is simple, and exemplified by shortening the process some:

-a = sqrt(a^2) = a

hmm...here's my initial thought.

X = sqrt ( (+-x)^2 ) there is something wrong with this step right?

Yes, it's like saying: 0 = inv. sin (0) = pi

The square root (like the inverse sine) is not strictly a function, because it is a one-to-many mapping (functions, strictly, are may-to-one, or one-to-oe maps). These are sometimes, loosely called multiple valued functions, with the condition that a principal value is assigned to the image (like the positive square root) when it's not specified which image you are talking about.

Gokul43201 said:
Dividing (1) by (2)
study/(don't study) = (don't fail)/fail
Hence 1/(don't) = don't
Or don't =1 or -1

If don't = -1
1+don't = 0
Division by 0 is illegal.

If don't =1 (the multiplicative identity), then (1) and (2), both become: study=fail,
which is not inconsistent with the final result.

Hahaha! That has to be one of the best replies to a joke I have ever heard.:rofl:

can i also solve the problem by saying that: 1 = sqrt ( (-1)^2) = l -1 l = 1

is this explanation valid?

I think some of you are spending too much time on turning words and phrases into mathematical shenanigans.

Anyway, When i ask my Math teacher about

" 1 = sqrt(1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=i*i=-1 ".
-------------------^^^^^------------------------
She says that it is not valid because if u have negative numbers in brackets, then u cannot separate them out, instead u must work them out 1st bacause negative numbers are special. which i feel is crap. But is her explanation correct?

What does "Study = Don't Fail" mean?

"Study = Don't Fail" is a phrase commonly used to emphasize the importance of studying and preparation in order to succeed in academic pursuits. It suggests that putting in the effort to study and learn the material will lead to positive outcomes, such as passing exams or achieving good grades.

Why is studying important?

Studying is important because it helps us to acquire knowledge and skills, improve our understanding of a subject, and retain information for later use. It also allows us to prepare for exams or assessments, which are often used to evaluate our understanding and progress in a particular subject or course.

How can I improve my study habits?

To improve your study habits, you can try setting a study schedule and sticking to it, breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, using effective study techniques such as summarizing and practicing recall, and seeking help or clarification if needed.

Does studying guarantee success?

No, studying does not guarantee success. Other factors such as test-taking skills, time management, and personal circumstances can also play a role in academic success. However, studying is an essential component in achieving academic goals and can greatly increase the chances of success.

What are some tips for staying motivated to study?

To stay motivated to study, you can set realistic goals, reward yourself for completing tasks, take breaks and engage in activities you enjoy, find a study partner or group, remind yourself of the benefits of studying, and seek support from friends, family, or mentors.