Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study finds most Bush supporters do not live in reality.

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    This report is mindblowing....

Download the full report in pdf format http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Report10_21_04.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I've always wondered what plane of existence they are populating.

4. Dec 4, 2004 #3
    "Study finds most Bush supporters do not live in reality"

So what is reality then ? I wonder...

5. Dec 4, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The one where we believe everything we're told.

I listened to an NPR show while driving last weekened. A big surprise: A five year study shows that people mostly believe what they want to believe. The Bush supporters that I know certainly know little to nothing of the facts.

One funny comment, according to an aquaintance whose wife is a member of Wicca, Bush got the pagan vote. Go figure!

There was also some woman from a think tank at MIT [I think]. She made the point that even though Bush does nothing to help mothers, he presents an image favorable to mothers, hence he got a large percentage of their votes. They truly had no idea for whom they were voting...but he sounded good on TV. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  6. Dec 4, 2004 #5
    ... but how??!!!. With all of his god-praising, you would think that they would be thoroughly disgusted! I am aghast in disbelief!

Hmm... don't Pagans orient themselves with nature? Given Bush's stance on Environmentalism, this logically doesn't make sense (what did in this recent election?)

Here is a page about Bush and Environmentalism from the interest group Sierra Club: http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200409/sins.asp

7. Dec 4, 2004 #6

GENIERE

Science Advisor

PIPA is funded by the listed organizations. With the possible exception of ATIF, they represent elite leftist thinking, in my terms the “loony left”. Let me devise the question, let me select the respondents, I’ll obtain the "facts" you need to support your agenda.

Rockefeller Foundation
    Rockefeller Brothers Fund
    Tides Foundation
    Ford Foundation
    German Marshall Fund of the United States
    Compton Foundation
    Carnegie Corporation
    Benton Foundation
    Ben and Jerry's Foundation
    Americans Talk Issues Foundation
    Circle Foundation

8. Dec 4, 2004 #7
    The thing is, when you make people afraid, they tend to forget about 'other' issues, like the enviroment, and the fact that their great great great grand children will be paying off bush's debts.

9. Dec 4, 2004 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If faced with a study you don't like, never never deal with the facts, just call the Carnegie Corporation the loony left.

10. Dec 4, 2004 #9

GENIERE

Science Advisor

T
    And to paraphrase: If faced with a study you like, never, never deal with the facts, just believe.

Kerry was on both sides of most major issues, (read important issues for the lefties); one can answer “yes” or “no” and be correct. Amusingly the PIPA analysis indicates Kerry’s inconsistency and offers this: “supports in principle but…” An issue that 89% of democratic voters got wrong but was scored as a correct answer.

11. Dec 4, 2004 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Kerry's problem was that for him as for many well educated people, "support in principle" is quite a different kettle of fish from "Support". Not for the electorate though, and easy for people of ill will like yourself to caricature.

12. Dec 5, 2004 #11
    It's not at all surprising that the support for Bush comes from the easily decieved. Most of them would vote for Ahnold as well. It's a celebrity worshipping culture that fits in with our lifestyle.

13. Dec 5, 2004 #12
    It's also a big fear thing, I mean who's more 'manly' than arnold, and I don't remember seeing one picture of bush behind a desk, he's always out and about, holding a gun, or an axe, or standing and looking tough. He's protrayed as a 'real man' who can defend the nation from the 'terrorists' or enemies of Freedom, while the population is being kept afraid of them by the media which almost exclusively reports threats and danger.

14. Dec 5, 2004 #13

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Americans are concerned but absolutely do not fear terrorism.

Yamamoto said it best: “I can’t imagine anything that would infuriate the Americans more. I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

Historians should learn from history, terrorists should learn from history. “Don’t tread on me!”

15. Dec 5, 2004 #14
    Yeah I agree, terrorism is the last thing I am worried about. I would say I have a better chance of dying while driving to school than being killed by a terrorist/s.

As for "who's more 'manly' than arnold." No one is, well maybe Jesse Ventura, that former wrestler and governor(still gov?) of Minnesota. :rofl:

As for Bush supporters not living in reality. The report is before the election, so it is just propaganda to support Kerry.

16. Dec 5, 2004 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Actually, Ventura is the real deal: he was a navy SEAL before he turned wrestler (actor). Arnold was a body-builder before being an actor. Strong, yes, but not a BA like Jesse.

17. Dec 5, 2004 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yeah, but Jesse Ventura was waxed by the predator pretty quickly, whereas Arnold was the only man to survive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?