Balanced Equation: 2S(s)+3O2(g) ----> 2SO3(g): Correct Interpretation

• Thread starter ProblemSets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses different interpretations of a balanced equation and whether they are correct or not. The correct interpretation is that the coefficients represent the number of moles, making option A the correct answer. Option B is not entirely correct as it does not specify the number of atoms of S, and option C is incorrect as coefficients do not represent grams.
ProblemSets
Which of the following is an INCORRECT interpretation of the balanced equation shown below?

2S(s) + 3O2(g) ----> 2SO3(g)

a.) 2 mol S + 3 mol O2 ----> 2 mol SO3
b.) 2 atoms S + 3 molecules O2 ----> 2 molecules SO3
c.) 2 g S + 3 g O2 ----> 2 g SO3
d.)none of the above

Physics news on Phys.org
So what do you think?

Note: this question should have been posted in the Homework Forum.

Do you understand that different elements have different atomic masses?

i think that the answer is c?

Last edited:
ProblemSets said:
i think that the answer is c?
...Why? ...

coefficients symbolize the number of moles so A would be correct.

Then I am not 100% sure about B cause the molecules seem to be right but I am not sure about the atoms of S and if that is a correct interpretation.

And for C, I don't think that the coefficients can stand for grams cause there are multiple grams in a mole.

How is my thinking?

What is a balanced equation?

A balanced equation is a chemical equation that shows the same number of atoms of each element on both sides of the arrow. This means that the number and types of atoms are conserved during a chemical reaction.

What does the numbers in front of the elements mean?

The numbers in front of the elements are called coefficients, and they represent the number of molecules or formula units of each substance involved in the reaction. They are used to balance the equation by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides.

What is the correct interpretation of this balanced equation?

The balanced equation 2S(s)+3O2(g) ----> 2SO3(g) means that 2 molecules of sulfur (S) react with 3 molecules of oxygen (O2) to produce 2 molecules of sulfur trioxide (SO3). This reaction results in the same number of atoms of each element on both sides of the arrow, making it a balanced equation.

Why is it important to have a balanced equation?

A balanced equation is important because it accurately represents the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. It also follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

How do you know if an equation is balanced?

To determine if an equation is balanced, you need to count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the arrow. If the number of atoms is the same on both sides, the equation is balanced. If not, you need to adjust the coefficients to ensure that the equation is balanced.