1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study Habits Thread!

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    Thought this would be a cool Idea - Everyone post your various study tips and strategies for dealing with upper level classes and graduate school

I love keeping a detailed log of what I plan on doing during the day,I try to keep every hour filled in eve if it is non academic (Weight Lifting, guitar, etc) so that my day always has structure...

9:00-10:00 Calc IV
    10:00-11:00 - Calc IV Homework/Review in Library
    11:00-12:00 - Lunch
    12:00-1:00 -Linear Systems and Signals
    1:00-2:00 - Linear Algebra
    2:00-6:00 Internship
    6:00-7:00 Dinner
    7:00-8:00 Linear Systems Review
    8:00-9:00 Linear Algebra Review

Just a simple rubric like this helps me stay organized, sometimes I don't need as much time and some times I need more

I just thought it would be a cool thread to look at other people academic strategies and habits!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    My schedule during the last examperiod was:

0900: get up, check the internet, shower
    1130: Realize it's only 30 minutes till lunch which is too short to start studying
    1200: Lunch
    1330: Go to the library
    1400: Start studying
    1600: Break
    1615: Studying
    1745: Go home
    1800: Dinner
    1900: Gym
    2100: Realize it's too late to start studying

Result: best grades I've ever had. :')

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    I never had a timetable like this. I would only do one stubject a day, start at 7:30am or 8am, and work until 4-5pm, then go home and play with the missus.

THis worked as long as I gave myself enough time before exams.

5. Aug 26, 2012 #4
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of internship are you doing?

6. Aug 26, 2012 #5
    Do neither of you eat breakfast?

7. Aug 27, 2012 #6
    One of my many bad habits is that I don't eat breakfast.

8. Aug 27, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Eat breakfast, get to classes and whenever you have a break study. Get back home at the end of the day and study some more. My lunch was generally an apple and maybe a piece of sharp cheddar, so that left me a bit more study time near mid-day.

Study habits were really dependent on personal habits/schedule for me. YMMV, but I did quite well with just a bit of discipline. I made a lot of my pocket money (and some for general expenses) playing music for frat parties on weekends. I also bought, restored, and resold electric guitars and tube amps, but those activities were not so time-dependent and I could use those to "fill in". My study habits/expenses were somewhat like a slalom course - take what you get and roll with it.

9. Aug 27, 2012 #8
    This summer term: I eat breakfast, go to class, eat lunch, go to class, spend a few hours at the library (usually until 6-7 PM), then head home, eat dinner and spend time with my fiancee. After she goes to bed, I'll study/review a little bit more if necessary, otherwise I'll relax and play a video game or something. This next term, I'm looking to add some regular exercise to my schedule, probably some time in the morning before I head off to class. My fall classes start around 10 AM, so I'll have plenty of time to eat and exercise before they begin.

I try to be efficient with my study time so I can enjoy having fun outdoors on the weekends. The crazy wildfires here are making that difficult right now, however! I'm not too concerned with structuring my days around any particular schedule, as long as I can get everything done and done well. Any time beyond that is fair game to get ahead in my studies, relax, have fun, or sit in a chair and stare.

10. Aug 27, 2012 #9
    Most of my commutes to school are about 10 mins by bus or so. I have also excluded the time I will spend in multivariable calculus because the classes are full and I'm trying to get in by special permission.

This is a loosely based schedule, overall I have a set goal of hours that I would like to study each week -- so my aim is to adjust accordingly from day to day depending on what comes up.

Monday
    Wake up at 8:30am
    Eat/review/get ready
    Intro LA at 10:20 AM - 11:40 AM
    Break - Relax / study
    Computing for Math & Science 3:20pm - 4:20pm
    Eat/relax
    Computing for Math & Science 5:15 - 6:10 pm
    study
    Comp-based Experimentation 6:40pm - 9:30 pm
    Study , eat, then sleep at 12:00

Tuesday
    Today is my study marathon day. :D
    Martial Arts 9:00 - 11:00 pm

Wednesday
    Wake up at 8:30
    Classical Mechanics I 12:00pm - 1:20pm
    Study
    Computing Math/Science 3:20 - 4:40pm
    Relax/study
    Computer - based Experimentation 8:10PM - 9:30PM
    Study, eat, then sleep at 12:00

Thursday
    Wake at 8:30
    Intro LA 10:20am - 11:40am
    Relax/Study
    Table Tennis 7:45pm-9:30pm
    Relax, eat, & sleep

Friday
    Wake up at 8:30
    Eat/relax
    Student in Transition class
    Classical Mechanics I 1:40pm - 3:00 pm
    Study

Saturday
    Study then hang out whenever

Sunday
    Study
    Martial Arts
    4:00 - 6:00 pm
    Relax

11. Aug 27, 2012 #10
    Some of you guys have really regular study schedules. I just kind of studied whenever. During the day I went to class and pretty much spent all day on campus. During breaks I mostly hung out with my friends and we talked about math a lot - which probably did add up to a good amount of extra knowledge.

I studied in the evenings - I sometimes start around 8 and go until about 2 am if I get really excited.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook