Good Study Habits for Memorizing & Applying Formulas

In summary, the best way to learn formulas and their applications is to practice doing problems and asking for guidance from your teacher. Writing down and reviewing the formulas can also aid in remembering them. Some additional tips include studying during quiet hours, creating a study guide with all the formulas, and simplifying complex concepts. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts behind the formulas rather than just memorizing them.
TailTactics
What are some good study habits to pick up in order to remember formulas and even better yet, how to apply them in the right situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
TailTactics said:
What are some good study habits to pick up in order to remember formulas and even better yet, how to apply them in the right situation.

The best way to remember formulas is to use them and acquire full understanding of the concepts behind them.

A good way to remember a few, is to write them down on a tiny piece of paper, get a mechanical pencil with a transparent grip (black is best), and place the paper inside, between the grip and the pencil. :biggrin: I thought of it myself, but its probably been done. It works.

Mk said:
A good way to remember a few, is to write them down on a tiny piece of paper, get a mechanical pencil with a transparent grip (black is best), and place the paper inside, between the grip and the pencil. :biggrin: I thought of it myself, but its probably been done. It works.
That is horrible. Besides, even route memorization is easier.

The best way to learn formulas and how to apply them is simply to practice doing problems. Practice problems like those you expect to find on the tests. If you don't know what to expect, ask your professor for advice on what and how to study or simply do extra problems from your book.

The best best way to learn formulae and their application is to derive them from first principles. But without that, lots of practice is the best route.

Mk said:

That's a nice and stupid way to get kicked out of college.

Thanks for the advice. Doing extra problems will help in further understanding of the subject and the formulas used to apply. My AP Physics instructor told me the same thing and I would usually just look over the notes and only do the review sheet. But extra problems from the textbook does seem like the place to go. I also found a "home" in physics on this forum. Its awsome to know that help is available online as well, but it is best to be independant especially when it comes to coursework like this.
Mk's advise wouldn't work because i want to know the formulas, besides my instructor puts the formulas on the tests because he wants us to know how to apply the formulas to the situations in the problems, let alone remember them. Thanx again for your responses and feel free to post if you have any more advise. :biggrin:

Last edited:
TailTactics said:

for studying Physic/math book

a easy 3 step process

1) Read the texts with the intention on details and understanding.

2) Read the text repetitively until to the point that you can generalized everything that is before you in the pages/section/chapter. You should be able to 'visual' the concepts.

3) Do the problem, concept derivation, etc in your notebook, 'by memory'.

Last edited:
I saw on TV that taking Meds designed for people with Attention Deficit Disorder will make normal people into super studiers. All you have to do is act like a scatter brain in the doctors office and its off to honors land! Of course I would never suggest this.

attempt to write all the formulas onto a 1-2 sided sheet(like a crib sheet...except its a study guide). This way you don'thave to go flipping through pages inorder to remmeber a forgotten eq'n...after a while eihter you become effiecient in doing questions...or you know exactly where the equation is on teh crib sheet...obviously teh former is better.
Also Study in teh wee hours of the morning(2am-9am) either by sleeping late(heh not attending classes) or waking up early. Reason being is that ther should be less noise in these hours.

neurocomp2003 said:
Also Study in teh wee hours of the morning(2am-9am) either by sleeping late(heh not attending classes) or waking up early. Reason being is that ther should be less noise in these hours.
...or you could find a library. Come on now.

Library is distracting =]

yeah like every1 else said ,the best way to LEARN the formulae is to ..derive and to use them over and over again in different problems .u can memorize them ,but formulaes r only useful if u know how they to use them .get a book to stick all ur derivations so u can refer to them .and then practice practice until u know how to use them i.e u can apply them to any problem...btw what level is this university..higher or high school...i say the lower it is the less memorizing u shud do.

mind maps r useful...by the way they arent brainstorms if ur interested and don't alreADY KNOW ABOUT THEM ...TONY BUZANS BOOKS R GOOD

Another good method is to take notes of your notes, somewhat like highlighting your notes. That way you'll get to the basics and save confusion. It also comes in handy if you're a person who takes a lot of notes, like myself. Simplify everything along with understanding.

TailTactics said:
With most formulas where your teacher covers the derivation of them... I guess it is just a matter of understanding the concepts and how it relates to the basic formulas that you can derive it from..

For those formulas your teacher never bothered deriving-- or those concepts that he/she just mentioned without any further proof for--, "Ohhh.. because it's too hard and it uses calculus...", store them on your calculator.

Try to understand the formulation behind every formula.
You have to memorise definition and find out why and how it is defined.

And you should try to write out the known and unknown while you are solving a problem (units often show where it should be put in a formula, so you have to be familiar what units shall be used in all formulas). Thus you can apply the needed formula in every situation.

1. What are some effective study habits for memorizing formulas?

Some effective study habits for memorizing formulas include breaking down the formula into smaller parts, practicing with flashcards or quizzes, and creating visual aids such as diagrams or mnemonic devices. It is also helpful to review the formula regularly and apply it in different problem-solving scenarios.

2. How can I better apply formulas in my studies?

To better apply formulas in your studies, it is important to understand the concepts behind the formula rather than just memorizing it. This will allow you to apply the formula in different scenarios and adapt it to solve different problems. Additionally, practicing with real-life examples and discussing the formula with peers can also improve your understanding and application of it.

3. Is it necessary to memorize formulas if I can look them up?

While it may be tempting to rely on looking up formulas, it is important to have a basic understanding and familiarity with them. This will save time during exams and allow you to focus on solving the problem rather than trying to remember the formula. Additionally, knowing the formulas by heart can also improve your understanding and application of them.

4. How can I stay motivated to study and memorize formulas?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals and deadlines for yourself. This can help you stay on track and see your progress. It can also be helpful to study in a group or with a study partner to keep each other accountable and motivated. Rewarding yourself for reaching milestones can also help with motivation.

5. Are there any techniques for memorizing formulas more efficiently?

Some techniques for memorizing formulas more efficiently include using mnemonic devices, creating songs or rhymes, and practicing with spaced repetition. It can also be helpful to associate the formula with a visual image or story to aid in recall. Breaking down the formula into smaller parts and practicing with flashcards or quizzes can also improve memorization.