1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study habits

1. Aug 3, 2005 #1
    hey everyone

Im currently looking at my white board. I can see ghosts of Riemann sums not fully erased. I call them ghost because they scared me yesterday when I almost forgot how to work one! Wait I think I see something emerging from the dark depths of my book shelf....oh my godsh its my calculus book

now that i have your attention

Im worried about the load of homework I will have next semester with calc 2, and physics

can anyone recommend any good study styles or strategies that work well, and how many hours a day could one expect studying for these classes??

by the way Mathwonk, Matt grime, HallsofIvy, Hurkly, and all the other ridicoulsly smart people here I demand to know your study strategies and dont say "practice"

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2005 #2
    More or less 0.3 hours a day.

In fact, I'll have to increase my rate.

I suggest studying until you master the subject.

4. Aug 3, 2005 #3

for phys II, the prof made us read the chapter the next day's lecture was going to be about. VERY effective. you get the material first in the reading, then you get it reinforced by the lecture, plus you have an idea of what questions you'll need to be asking and what problems you'll have to solve.

i suggest reading as much as you can of the material before each lecture. with math classes this is a bit difficult (for people who aren't comfortable reading math texts, that is). in this case, the reverse may help--go to lectures, then read over the same material. and, of course, doing AT LEAST every assigned problem--as many as you need to get the concept down.

solutions manuals are recommended...

try these and mix and max styles until you get what suits you best.

5. Aug 3, 2005 #4
    Just make sure you USE the textbook for reading material, and NOT for just pracice problems!!!!! Lots of ugrads do not use their textbook for reading and just rely on lecture notes and practice problems.

Also, I'd say study for maybe 1 hour for each of subject per day, and you should be good. What's really important is that you come up with a definitive study schedule and stick to it, to discourage procrastination. Procrastination is the biggest killer fo undergrads.

6. Aug 3, 2005 #5
    to tell you the brutal truth, i never did the readings in the text for any class. it just put me to sleep. i just pull all nighters before the test and cram. it always seems to work (although profs. don't want to admit it does).

7. Aug 3, 2005 #6
    Thanks

I think im gonna start reading my physics book right now!

8. Aug 3, 2005 #7
    It works but you don't walk away knowing much, no matter how much you tell yourself and others otherwise....

this is also why your profs don't want you to know it works....

Don't forget that one of the main reasons you're in college is to learn.

Not to sound insulting, but I don't think this is good advice to give an undergrad, if you meant it to be advice at all....

9. Aug 3, 2005 #8
    It is definitely doable. I took those same 2 courses over the summer. One was a 6 week course the other was a 10 week course. In the physics class we covered 3 chapters a week, so we had 1 test a week, for a total of 18 chapters. I studied every single day though. Most of my day was spent in class/driving to class though, so that made it harder. I didn't read the entire book of course, I just didn't have time, but I worked through enough examples to make sure I understood all the concepts.

Since you are taking it during a regular semester, I am sure you will do excellent! Just keep up with the work and you should do great. Go in with a positive attitude and try to understand everything. If you work on both classes every single day, you should do really well, probably a high A in both courses. Of course very few people have that much desire. Goodluck!

10. Aug 3, 2005 #9
    I must quote you, these are really golden words!!!

Anyway it is my opinion that studying at home is much less productive
    than having lectures (of course both are necessary).

Try to exploit it completely.

11. Aug 3, 2005 #10
    Although I respect gravenewworld because he is a smart guy, I have to disagree with ihs advice here. I concede that the super-cram method might work for some people, but I assure you that you don't want to put yourself through that. As it has been pointed out as well, the point of undergrad is to learn, not to cram to do well on an exam; you won't learn anything from the cramming because it's cramming - not learning. Learning steadily and cumulatively is the best way, I think, rather than having a fragile hold on everything at once, it's better to have a firm hold on some of the topics.

12. Aug 3, 2005 #11
    OH CONTRAIRE! I remember having fun last semester learning all of glycolysis, the TCA cycle, and oxidative phosophorylation in 1 sitting. Needlesss to say I :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: for 16 hours the next night.

13. Aug 3, 2005 #12
    Au contraire

14. Aug 3, 2005 #13
    agreed. slow and steady wins the race, as it were... if by "race" we mean "long term retention of the material."

and taking calc II and physics I (i presume?) is TOTALLY able to be done, and done well, at that!

in addition to the other non-cramming advice in this thread, make sure to use office hours! during my first semester i didn't use them very much, since my phys professor answered questions via email (another resource you should use, if the professor allows for this!). but during the second semester, i'd go to office hours a few times a semester for phys II, diff eq, and biology whenever there was a homework problem i was stuck on, a concept i forgot to ask about/didn't realize i had a problem with until after lecture, wanted to talk about academic things.

after all, the profs hold office hours for a reason! they want students to use'em.

15. Aug 3, 2005 #14
    i guess he didn't get around to crammin' for french... :biggrin:

16. Aug 3, 2005 #15
    First: precision.

17. Aug 3, 2005 #16
    Hmm--my study method is just read/ponder until you intuitively+mathematically (intuimatically) understand the concept/procedure.

*Assuming time is not significantly restricted on your tests, just focus on the understanding.
    *Assuming time IS significantly restricted on your tests, focus on the PRACTICE as well.
    Personally, I never really focus on the practice (I'm a Study guy, not a homework guy! Thus my HS teachers hate me!) unless I'm studying challenging material, in which case I need not only to understand the material, but also do the problems extremely quickly.
    *Noslen, do not worry about the homework load...well, that is, only if your teacher doesn't consider homework as part of your class grade. Rather, focus on mathematical-intuitive understanding, and your skills. If you need like 1/2/3 problems for practice, go ahead and do those problems; seriously, Don't waste your time on tedious work if you understand the subject and are skilled with it.
    However.....if you really do need several hours of practice just to understand the subject/concept, well, just do the work i guess.

18. Aug 3, 2005 #17
    This is very similar to my strategy. Good advice! :tongue:

19. Aug 3, 2005 #18

oh, right, this reminds me of my calc III class.

it was--supposedly--an honors course. *eye roll*

anyway, the professor was really unorganized with his homework assignments. i'm not exaggerating, one of his assignments was problems 1-62 for a particular section.

*double eye roll*

so what i did was i picked and chose problems to tailor more to my needs. if i saw a problem and identified it as just a simple plug and chug one, or one that i could solve in a line, i'd just do one or two (either on paper or in my head!). then i'd get to the harder problems and do as many as i felt necessary.

in other words, unless your homework is collected and graded for completeness (like my complex variables class was!), you can "customize" the homework. takes a bit of practice and knowledge of what you can and can't do, or rather need practice or don't need practice with.

yeah, in my calc II class, i started to trim the assignments down once i wised up, if i remember correctly.

but again, it's MUCH safer to do more problems than you need than doing fewer!

(and i have to disagree with the above posters. knowing the concepts is absolutely essential and your primary task--however, you need to prove to yourself that you would be able to solve problems related to those concepts well-before test day, when it will actually count. or if you see a problem in REAL life, when it will REALLY count! :biggrin: )

20. Aug 3, 2005 #19
    For both, read the texts before class, and review the day after class (or sooner, whatever works for you).

For Math, do every practice problem your instructor assigns you. There is simply nothing better than repetition for nailing the mechanical part of it. And read the actual text, and work over any broken-down problems it gives in the text.

For Physics, work on really grasping the concepts before hitting the problems too hard. It's nothing but wasted time if you try to Math your way through the work before you really "get" the Physics. Thinking about applications of the Physics to everyday objects can really help with the memorisation of concepts, especially if you assign a different, distinct object to every concept.

21. Aug 3, 2005 #20
    Studying the concepts is nice, but the really essential thing is that you can do the problems. Problems can be unintuitive sometimes (or have multiple ways to solve) and the only way to figure out that stuff is through practice. Just because you know F=ma doesn't give you all of mechanics, for instance. Those shortcuts and best procedures are a matter of practice and there really isn't any way to just pick that stuff up by looking at the book. Examples help, but they really are no substitute for doing it yourself -- and just as importantly, knowing you can do it yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?