Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study in Bed?

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    Does anybody study in bed (i.e. sitting up against a pillow)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2
    no i do it laying down :)

i usually study at barnes for hours and right b4 i sleep, i do a "cool-down" studying in bed.
  4. Sep 17, 2007 #3

I'm doing that right now, although I get more done when I am sitting at my desk. That is where I can really focus on the material. :wink:
  5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

I sometimes read in bed before going to sleep.
  6. Sep 17, 2007 #5
    I study at a desk.
  7. Sep 17, 2007 #6
    Depends. I don't think I'll do any serious math while in bed, but I have read books for other subjects in bed.
  8. Sep 17, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although it's generally frowned upon to hold tutorials in bed.
  9. Sep 17, 2007 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's my habit right there.
  10. Sep 17, 2007 #9
    I tried reading textbooks for subjects i didnt like in bed. Most of the time I fell to sleep
  11. Sep 17, 2007 #10

Gold Member

Most of the time!
    I sometimes lay down.
  12. Sep 17, 2007 #11

Homework Helper

Same here.
  13. Sep 17, 2007 #12
    I preferred to study in bed all through undergrad and grad school. I guess my desk was always too cluttered to study at.

Occasionally my boyfriend got annoyed if he had to remove textbooks to the floor before he could get into bed.
  14. Sep 17, 2007 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would have been more annoyed if he had removed you to get at the textbooks!
  15. Sep 17, 2007 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is, did you do so to annoy him?
  16. Sep 17, 2007 #15
    Well, I met the boyfriend after I had formed my study habits. The alternative was to sleep at his place and listen to CPU fans revving all night.

His field was CS, so he was never that hot for orgies with Ashcroft and Mermin.
  17. Sep 17, 2007 #16
    how did you not fall asleep?
  18. Sep 17, 2007 #17

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you think it was the CS equivalent of a sleep machine?
  19. Sep 17, 2007 #18
    I mostly studied by redoing the derivations and example problems done in class and in the textbook. I also liked to make a first attempt at the homework problems on my own (in bed). Having to move a pencil around probably helped me stay awake. It was also too noisy in my head to fall asleep!
  20. Sep 17, 2007 #19
    My computer is at my desk, so I often get distracted if I study there. So, I read and do homework while laying down in bed. It's more comfortable, but I don't fall asleep.
  21. Sep 17, 2007 #20
    I study walking around mostly. In circles until I get slightly dizzy, then I change directions.

If the book is too heavy or I'm too tired of walking, I'll sit down. But I have to keep changing my posture every minute or two.

I've tried working on my bed before, but I fall asleep too quickly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?