Does studying in bed really make me smarter?

• Thread starter tronter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: I would say that studying in bed may be more effective if done while standing on your head to increase the gravitational force!
tronter
Does anybody study in bed (i.e. sitting up against a pillow)?

Physics news on Phys.org
no i do it laying down :)

i usually study at barnes for hours and right b4 i sleep, i do a "cool-down" studying in bed.

tronter said:

I'm doing that right now, although I get more done when I am sitting at my desk. That is where I can really focus on the material. :wink:

I sometimes read in bed before going to sleep.

I study at a desk.

Depends. I don't think I'll do any serious math while in bed, but I have read books for other subjects in bed.

Although it's generally frowned upon to hold tutorials in bed.

Astronuc said:
I sometimes read in bed before going to sleep.

That's my habit right there.

I tried reading textbooks for subjects i didnt like in bed. Most of the time I fell to sleep

tronter said:

Most of the time!
I sometimes lay down.

JasonRox said:
That's my habit right there.

Same here.

I preferred to study in bed all through undergrad and grad school. I guess my desk was always too cluttered to study at.

Occasionally my boyfriend got annoyed if he had to remove textbooks to the floor before he could get into bed.

oedipa maas said:
Occasionally my boyfriend got annoyed if he had to remove textbooks to the floor before he could get into bed.
You would have been more annoyed if he had removed you to get at the textbooks!

oedipa maas said:
I preferred to study in bed all through undergrad and grad school. I guess my desk was always too cluttered to study at.

The question is, did you do so to annoy him?

EnumaElish said:
The question is, did you do so to annoy him?

Well, I met the boyfriend after I had formed my study habits. The alternative was to sleep at his place and listen to CPU fans revving all night.

mgb_phys said:
You would have been more annoyed if he had removed you to get at the textbooks!

His field was CS, so he was never that hot for orgies with Ashcroft and Mermin.

how did you not fall asleep?

oedipa maas said:
The alternative was to sleep at his place and listen to CPU fans revving all night.
Did you think it was the CS equivalent of a sleep machine?

I mostly studied by redoing the derivations and example problems done in class and in the textbook. I also liked to make a first attempt at the homework problems on my own (in bed). Having to move a pencil around probably helped me stay awake. It was also too noisy in my head to fall asleep!

My computer is at my desk, so I often get distracted if I study there. So, I read and do homework while laying down in bed. It's more comfortable, but I don't fall asleep.

I study walking around mostly. In circles until I get slightly dizzy, then I change directions.

If the book is too heavy or I'm too tired of walking, I'll sit down. But I have to keep changing my posture every minute or two.

I've tried working on my bed before, but I fall asleep too quickly.

oedipa maas said:
It was also too noisy in my head to fall asleep!
The Paranoids playing all night? :smile:

I sit on the floor to find answers for complicated questions and it works well sometimes better than studying at my desk, if I tried that in bed maybe I will find the answer but in my dreams:zzz:

mgb_phys said:
Although it's generally frowned upon to hold tutorials in bed.

Darn! There goes that idea for a new course to offer. :frown: :tongue:

I could never study in bed; I'd fall asleep. I've always needed to study or read things that require serious thinking at a desk or table. Sometimes if it's just reading or writing and not hard-core thinking, I can sit on my couch and read. Actually, cracking open a big fat textbook in bed was always a great cure for insomnia...the only other cure I've ever found for insomnia is the sound of the alarm clock going off. :biggrin:

I study in bed, and I've learned a lot that way. Like don't read book a book in bed when your spouse isn't reading one.

jimmysnyder said:
I study in bed, and I've learned a lot that way. Like don't read book a book in bed when your spouse isn't reading one.

:rofl:

I prefer to use natural performance enhancers, such as studying whilst standing on my head and letting gravity do its thing.

J77 said:
such as studying whilst standing on my head and letting gravity do its thing.
Based on the idea that knowledge is power, power is energy, energy is mass and mass has weight?

1. Does studying in bed affect my ability to retain information?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Some studies suggest that studying in bed can lead to a more relaxed and comfortable state, which may enhance memory and learning. However, other studies have shown that studying in bed can disrupt the brain's association of the bed with sleep, making it more difficult to focus and retain information. Ultimately, it may depend on individual preferences and habits.

2. Is it better to study in bed or at a desk?

This also depends on personal preference and study habits. Some people may find that they are able to concentrate and stay alert while studying in bed, while others may find that they are more productive at a desk with a designated study space. It may also depend on the type of material being studied. For example, reading may be more comfortable in bed while writing or taking notes may be easier at a desk.

3. Can studying in bed lead to poor posture or physical discomfort?

Yes, studying in bed can often lead to poor posture and discomfort due to the lack of proper support. It is important to maintain good posture while studying to prevent strain on the neck and back. If studying in bed is preferred, using pillows to prop up the back and neck can help maintain better posture.

4. Does studying in bed affect my sleep quality?

Studying in bed can have a negative impact on sleep quality if it becomes a regular habit. The brain may start to associate the bed with studying and being alert, making it more difficult to fall asleep. Additionally, the blue light emitted from electronic devices used for studying can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep. It is recommended to avoid studying in bed before bedtime to promote better sleep.

5. Can studying in bed increase my productivity?

As mentioned before, studying in bed can lead to a more relaxed and comfortable state, which may enhance productivity for some individuals. However, for others, the bed may be associated with rest and relaxation, making it more difficult to focus and be productive. It is important to find a study environment that works best for each individual's learning style and habits.