Help! I'm Struggling with How to Study - A Graduate's Story

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: Thanks for the summary.In summary, the person says that they do not know how to study now because they are used to thinking about topics when they have free time. They also mention that this is different than simply doing problems and that it will also shorten your study time.
qinglong.1397
Hey, everyone!

I think I have a big problem now. I do not how to study now!

How to study? The answer I would give is to read the textbook and then solve problems. This method is exactly I used before I came to USA. The reason why I study abroad is that I think the education level of my country is rather low. Students just solve problems. They do not think a lot. To a large extent, this education produces a lot of robots for solving problems.

I come to USA to receive another education. But now, I still spend most of my time solving problems, just like in my country. Why? This is because I would feel uncomfortable if I do a little exercise.

I really do not how to study. I want to know the study method you use. Thank you!P.S.: I am a graduate now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use whatever study method helps you learn the material best. Doing a lot of problems is usually a significant part of studying physics at the undergraduate level.

fss said:
Use whatever study method helps you learn the material best. Doing a lot of problems is usually a significant part of studying physics at the undergraduate level.

Thanks! But I am a graduate now. Sorry for missing this information

I like to think about topics whenever I have free time (in the shower, on the metro, etc.)

Getting a grasp on what the topics really mean, and getting true insight, is a lot different than simply doing problems. It will also shorten your study time and make your education more meaningful, but that's my opinion.

bleedblue1234 said:
I like to think about topics whenever I have free time (in the shower, on the metro, etc.)

Getting a grasp on what the topics really mean, and getting true insight, is a lot different than simply doing problems. It will also shorten your study time and make your education more meaningful, but that's my opinion.

Sounds good. You can focus your mind in your spare time. I believe you are somebody.

I believe you are somebody.

FYI, everyone is someone (everybody is somebody).

1. What is the best way to study for exams?

The best way to study for exams varies from person to person, as everyone has different learning styles. However, some general tips for effective studying include creating a study schedule, breaking up material into manageable chunks, practicing active learning techniques such as summarizing and teaching the material to someone else, and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying?

Staying motivated while studying can be challenging, but there are some strategies that can help. Setting specific and achievable goals, rewarding yourself for reaching milestones, and reminding yourself of the long-term benefits of studying are all effective ways to stay motivated. Additionally, finding a study group or partner can provide accountability and make studying more enjoyable.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid while studying?

Some common mistakes to avoid while studying include studying for long periods without breaks, trying to memorize information instead of understanding it, and procrastinating until the last minute. It is also important to avoid distractions such as social media or multitasking while studying.

4. How can I improve my time management while studying?

Improving time management while studying can be achieved by creating a study schedule, setting realistic goals, and prioritizing tasks based on their importance. It can also be helpful to eliminate distractions and focus on one task at a time. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help improve overall productivity.

5. What are some study methods that have been proven to be effective?

Some study methods that have been proven to be effective include active learning techniques such as summarizing, teaching the material to someone else, and practicing retrieval (quizzing yourself). Other methods include creating flashcards, using mnemonic devices, and taking practice tests. It is important to experiment and find what works best for your individual learning style.