• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Study of radiation

• Thread starter Makveger
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm a mechanical engineering student in my senior year
These days I find my self very interested in thermal radiation and radiation in general like gamma rays,I've never been able to get deep into this field just a little bit in the heat transfer course
So is there any way to get deeper in radiation and shielding(like in nuclear reactors)?
Would that involve study of quantum mechanics and modern physics??because I've never taken these courses before.

Also would that be a good choice regarding that I'm gonna go a little far away from my original field of study(thermo-fluid sciences)??

Answers and Replies

I'm a mechanical engineering student in my senior year
These days I find my self very interested in thermal radiation and radiation in general like gamma rays,I've never been able to get deep into this field just a little bit in the heat transfer course
So is there any way to get deeper in radiation and shielding(like in nuclear reactors)?
Would that involve study of quantum mechanics and modern physics??because I've never taken these courses before.

Also would that be a good choice regarding that I'm gonna go a little far away from my original field of study(thermo-fluid sciences)??
Well since you are a senior already in ME, you might as well just finish that up. If you have any semesters left, try to take a physics or nuclear engineering elective. You could pursue a M.S. or PhD in nuclear engineering, as this sounds like what you are somewhat interested in. You would almost certainly have to take some grad school prep courses in reactor physics or reactor engineering. Quantum mechanics is not needed usually for nuclear engineering, but at least having the basics down, like maybe what is covered in a modern physics course surely couldn't hurt. Astronuc is a user who knows a lot about NE, maybe he will see this.

Thermal radiation is a VERY important topic in Mechanical Engineering. I have taken an entire course on thermal radiation heat transfer and it was probably the most interesting course I have ever taken. This topic is of special importance to the field of solar energy, which is, in my opinion, the way of the future.