Studying Radiation for Mechanical Engineering Student

In summary, as a senior mechanical engineering student, you have expressed a strong interest in thermal radiation and radiation in general. You are wondering if there is any way to delve deeper into this field, particularly in relation to nuclear reactors, and if studying quantum mechanics and modern physics would be necessary. It is recommended that you finish your ME degree and potentially take physics or nuclear engineering electives to gain more knowledge in this area. Pursuing a graduate degree in nuclear engineering may also be a good option for you.
Makveger
I'm a mechanical engineering student in my senior year
These days I find my self very interested in thermal radiation and radiation in general like gamma rays,I've never been able to get deep into this field just a little bit in the heat transfer course
So is there any way to get deeper in radiation and shielding(like in nuclear reactors)?
Would that involve study of quantum mechanics and modern physics??because I've never taken these courses before.

Also would that be a good choice regarding that I'm going to go a little far away from my original field of study(thermo-fluid sciences)??

Physics news on Phys.org
Makveger said:
I'm a mechanical engineering student in my senior year
These days I find my self very interested in thermal radiation and radiation in general like gamma rays,I've never been able to get deep into this field just a little bit in the heat transfer course
So is there any way to get deeper in radiation and shielding(like in nuclear reactors)?
Would that involve study of quantum mechanics and modern physics??because I've never taken these courses before.

Also would that be a good choice regarding that I'm going to go a little far away from my original field of study(thermo-fluid sciences)??

Well since you are a senior already in ME, you might as well just finish that up. If you have any semesters left, try to take a physics or nuclear engineering elective. You could pursue a M.S. or PhD in nuclear engineering, as this sounds like what you are somewhat interested in. You would almost certainly have to take some grad school prep courses in reactor physics or reactor engineering. Quantum mechanics is not needed usually for nuclear engineering, but at least having the basics down, like maybe what is covered in a modern physics course surely couldn't hurt. Astronuc is a user who knows a lot about NE, maybe he will see this.

Thermal radiation is a VERY important topic in Mechanical Engineering. I have taken an entire course on thermal radiation heat transfer and it was probably the most interesting course I have ever taken. This topic is of special importance to the field of solar energy, which is, in my opinion, the way of the future.

1. What is radiation and how does it relate to mechanical engineering?

Radiation is the process of energy being emitted in the form of waves or particles. In mechanical engineering, radiation can refer to thermal radiation, which is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. This type of radiation is important to study in order to design and improve systems that involve heat transfer, such as engines and power plants.

2. How is radiation measured and what units are used?

Radiation is measured using units such as watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). These units represent the amount of energy being transferred through radiation. More specifically, the rate of thermal radiation is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) or joules per second per square meter (J/s·m²).

3. What are some real-world applications of studying radiation in mechanical engineering?

Studying radiation is crucial for designing efficient and safe systems in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and power generation. For example, understanding how radiation affects heat transfer can help engineers design more efficient engines or improve the insulation of a building for better energy conservation.

4. How does radiation impact materials used in mechanical engineering?

Radiation can have various effects on materials used in mechanical engineering, depending on the type of radiation and the material itself. For example, thermal radiation can cause materials to expand or contract, leading to structural changes and potential failures. Radiation can also cause materials to degrade over time, leading to reduced performance and lifespan.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when studying radiation in mechanical engineering?

When studying radiation, it is important to follow safety protocols to protect oneself and others from potential harm. This may include wearing protective gear, using shielding materials, and following proper handling and disposal procedures. Additionally, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the potential risks and how to mitigate them in order to ensure a safe working environment.