Optimizing Your Math Study Plan: Tips and Textbook Recommendations

In summary: Category theory is a very interesting topic, but it's not necessary to know it in order to do mathematics. I think that a discrete math course, such as real analysis or analysis, would be a great place to start. Additionally, I think it would be good to combine all of the number systems into one course.
DianaElQassim
I want to study physics, but I am really not that good in mathematics. I need some sort of a hierarchy or a study plan with good textbooks included. I want to start from the very basics, a study plan that covers everything from vectors, algebra, geometry, to calculus. If anyone could suggest a good study plan with textbooks or even online courses, that would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may find the "Insights" by this author helpful, particularly those about (self-)studying.

Likes DianaElQassim
I also have a related question regarding a ( more pure) math study plan - Her is my list below (I reviewed many sources to arrive at this)...the questions I have are (1) Why is Linear Algebra so late in the list? (2) Is this list accurate?
•Logic
•Set Theory (Set-class Theory)
•The Natural Numbers
•Category Theory
•Order Theory
•Group Theory
•The Integers and Number Theory
•Ring Theory
•The Rationals
•Field Theory
•Point-set Topology
•The Real Numbers
•The Complex Numbers
•Linear Algebra (why so late?)
•Measure Theory
•Real Analysis
•Complex Analysis
•Functional Analysis
•Differential Equations

DianaElQassim said:
I want to study physics, but I am really not that good in mathematics. I need some sort of a hierarchy or a study plan with good textbooks included. I want to start from the very basics, a study plan that covers everything from vectors, algebra, geometry, to calculus. If anyone could suggest a good study plan with textbooks or even online courses, that would be very helpful.
How do you mean, "really not that good in mathematics"? Best response depends on knowing what that means for you.

heff001 said:
I also have a related question regarding a ( more pure) math study plan - Her is my list below (I reviewed many sources to arrive at this)...the questions I have are (1) Why is Linear Algebra so late in the list? (2) Is this list accurate?
•Logic
•Set Theory (Set-class Theory)
•The Natural Numbers
•Category Theory
•Order Theory
•Group Theory
•The Integers and Number Theory
•Ring Theory
•The Rationals
•Field Theory
•Point-set Topology
•The Real Numbers
•The Complex Numbers
•Linear Algebra (why so late?)
•Measure Theory
•Real Analysis
•Complex Analysis
•Functional Analysis
•Differential Equations

Category theory should be far down the list. Where will you get your examples without topology and abstract algebra? A course on logic seems unnecessary: you learn this while doing mathematics. Same thing with set theory; well maybe some set theory course can be useful later introducing ZFC formally but I think formal set theory will obscure things without the proper background. The set theory course and logic course can be replaced by one discrete math course imo. Also, linear algebra way too late on the list. Can easily be in top 5. Also, all the number systems should be basic and higher in the list. Merge them as one thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes heff001
symbolipoint said:
How do you mean, "really not that good in mathematics"? Best response depends on knowing what that means for you.
The OP is long gone from PF.

PeroK said:
The OP is long gone from PF.
Post #3 came on Friday, which was only TWO days ago, and an Alert came to me about this topic; so I HAD a response.

Math_QED said:
There can be debated a lot in this list, but my first question:

why would you want to do all this if youCategory theory should be far down the list. Where will you get your examples without topology and abstract algebra? A course on logic seems unnecessary: you learn this while doing mathematics. Same thing with set theory; well maybe some set theory course can be useful later introducing ZFC formally but I think formal set theory will obscure things without the proper background. The set theory course and logic course can be replaced by one discrete math course imo. Also, linear algebra way too late on the list. Can easily be in top 5. Also, all the number systems should be basic and higher in the list. Merge them as one thing.
I really appreciate the reply. This is perfect.

Likes symbolipoint

1. What should be the main focus of a study plan for mathematics?

The main focus of a study plan for mathematics should be to develop a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts and principles of math. This includes topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is important to also incorporate problem-solving skills and critical thinking into the study plan.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying mathematics?

The amount of time dedicated to studying mathematics will depend on your individual learning style and the complexity of the material. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours per day on mathematics. Consistency is key, so try to stick to a regular study schedule.

3. Should I focus on one specific area of mathematics or cover a variety of topics?

It is important to have a balanced approach to studying mathematics. While it may be tempting to focus on one specific area, it is important to also cover a variety of topics to develop a well-rounded understanding of the subject. This will also help with problem-solving skills and making connections between different concepts.

4. How can I make my study plan for mathematics more effective?

To make your study plan for mathematics more effective, it is important to set achievable goals, break down complex topics into smaller, manageable chunks, and regularly review and practice what you have learned. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.

5. How often should I reassess and adjust my study plan for mathematics?

It is important to regularly reassess and adjust your study plan for mathematics, especially if you are struggling with certain topics or not seeing the desired progress. This may involve seeking help from a tutor or teacher, changing your study methods, or setting new goals. It is also important to be flexible and adapt your study plan as needed.