Self-Teaching for High School Olympiads: Strategies and Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses self-teaching strategies for chemistry, physics, and math for high school olympiads. The suggested resources include Atkins Chemistry for chemistry, Halliday and Resnick for physics, and Problem Solving Strategies for math. Other suggestions include Zumdahl chemistry and Carey's Organic Chemistry for organic chemistry. The website "Art of Problem Solving" is also mentioned as a helpful resource for studying for all three olympiads.
harris
Does anyone know how I should go about self teaching myself chemistry, physics and math for the goals of the respective high school olympiads for each one? I'm thinking of using Atkins Chemistry, Halliday and Resnick, and Problem Solving Strategies. Any other ideas or advice from people who have performed well on these olympiads before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atkins Chemistry

His Physical chemistry book? The chemistry olympiad definitely doesn't go as far as physical chemistry. It DOES do SOME organic chemistry though - so you probably want an ochem book on that. Carey's Organic Chemistry book has a solutions manual that has answers to all the problems.

For chemistry, Zumdahl chemistry is good. Halliday is often used by other people who study for the physics olympiad. There is a way to get the full instructors solution manual for Halliday - but I probably shouldn't mention how to get it here. :p

Oh and A LOT of people @ http://www.artofproblemsolving.com study for all 3 olympiads.

wow that's insane. Do you really think you can do that?

1. What is a study plan for self teaching?

A study plan for self teaching is a structured schedule that outlines the materials, topics, and goals a person wants to cover while learning a subject on their own. It helps to keep the learning process organized and efficient.

2. Why is it important to have a study plan for self teaching?

A study plan for self teaching helps to keep a person focused and motivated while learning on their own. It also ensures that all the necessary topics and materials are covered, leading to a more thorough understanding of the subject.

3. How do I create a study plan for self teaching?

To create a study plan for self teaching, start by identifying your learning goals and the materials you will need. Then, break down the subject into smaller topics and allocate specific time slots for each one. Be sure to schedule breaks and review sessions as well. It's also important to be flexible and make adjustments as needed.

4. How often should I review and update my study plan for self teaching?

It is recommended to review and update your study plan for self teaching regularly, especially if you find that certain topics require more time or if your learning goals change. It's important to ensure that the study plan remains relevant and effective.

5. Can I use a study plan for self teaching for any subject?

Yes, a study plan for self teaching can be used for any subject as long as it is tailored to your specific learning style and goals. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from experts or resources in the field to ensure an effective study plan.