Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study proofs geometrically?

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    For proofs such as the derivative of cos or sin.. should I study them both analytically and geometrically? By analytically I mean to derive them by algebraic means. Or should I also study the geometrical "intuition" behind it?

I love proofs but aren't completely fond of the geometrical "proofs", I was watching MIT opencourseware and stumbled upon the geometrical "proofs" of things like derivatives of cos and sin. Question is, should I even bother to understand them?

For a little background: I love mathematics and I'm pursuing theoretical physics. I'm only up to calculus at the moment and I'm trying to understand as much of the proofs as possible; simply because I find it fun and worthwhile. Is it necessary to start developing the geometrical intuition behind some proofs? Would it help for my further studies? As of the moment I see it as a waste of time, and enjoy the "real" proofs much more.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, try to understand both proofs. The more point-of-views you get on a certain subject, the easier it will be to apply this subject later on.

Actually, I don't really see what you mean with "geometrical proof", but I guess it's probably some argument that gives intuition behind things. This intuition is very important. So do try to understand it.

In general: the more you study right now, the easier it will be later on. I wish somebody told me this when I was young...

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3
    Yes, I said geometrical "proof" because its not really a proof at all. I don't really see how the intuition behind the geometry of it is very important, I feel like I completely understand the concept through the regular proof.

I'm also on the same boat, I wish I would have paid attention to high school algebra. I remember my calculus test the other week.. I completely aced eveything calculus related, only to get stumped on problems dealing with application of linear equations of which were roughly 1/9 the grade of the test.

Though I suppose I caught this problem earlier than you, I'm only on calculus I at the moment. =p

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's impossible to "understand too much" IMO.

Certainly you ought to be able to relate simple trig formulas to geometry. It won't hurt if you realize that [itex] \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1[/itex] is exactly the same as Pythagoras's theorem, for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook