Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study says Women are germier than men

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    Study says Women are "germier" than men

According to the study by University of Arizona professor Charles Gerba:

"Women have three to four times the number of bacteria in, on and around their desks, phones, computers, keyboards, drawers and personal items as men do."

Gerba goes on to say that "[t]he average office desktop has 400 times more bacteria than the average office toilet seat."

The guys didn't fare much better either because Gerba found the worst overall office germ offender is men's wallets.

The gist of the study is basically (I am paraphrasing here):
    Guys... 2 words... money clip.
    Ladies... 3 words... anti-bacterial soap.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2
    How is a money clip better than a wallet in terms of bacteria?
  4. Feb 15, 2007 #3
    I was taking liberty from the study in suggesting using a money clip. I could be way wrong here but I'd think that a money clip would provide better air flow than the warm, even sometimes damp wallet, thereby impeding bacterial growth.
  5. Feb 15, 2007 #4
    Most of the germs in a wallet are yours, thus anyone who steals it is taking a highly effective bio-weapon :smile:, I mean who else handles your wallet? People are too paranoid about bacteria these days anyway.
  6. Feb 15, 2007 #5
    LOL... it's not so rosy when you consider these days, the theif will probably turn around and sue for medical compensation if he gets sick!:rofl:

Infact, he could claim to be doing you a public service by taking your germ infested money... and you dared to prevent him!

I think part of it has to do also with the question of who handles the contents of your wallet (i.e. how often do you trade your money for someone else's germ infested money).

Oh, I'm not one of those people who is paranoid about bacteria in general... just the bad ones that make me sick :)
  7. Feb 15, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew women were germier than men :eek: And they go on at us.
  8. Feb 15, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew it! It's just like I was told at age five: Girls have cooties.
  9. Feb 15, 2007 #8
    Hey God, I know I prayed for a filthy woman, but this isn't what I meant! :)
  10. Feb 15, 2007 #9

Homework Helper

Are germs really all that bad? Seems to me that we have been led through ambitious marketing to believe that they are much worse than they actually are.
  11. Feb 15, 2007 #10
    Most bacteria aren't -- some are neutral in terms of causing damage, and others are necessary components of life. But I think the informal definition of a "germ" is a disease-causing organism... so, one could say that by definition, yes, all germs are bad.

It's confusing since the article I cited seems to be using the two terms interchangably.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. Feb 15, 2007 #11
    :biggrin: Keeping money in my wallet is rare, I usually use chip and pin these days, actually edit that, keeping money in my wallet is rare full stop :biggrin:

I think if a thief gets infected off my wallet it serves him right, justice is served, crime doesn't pay, especially if he's just stolen my wallet :wink:

True :smile: How do you wash your wallet though?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  13. Feb 15, 2007 #12
    "wash my wallet" ? Sorry, I don't follow :)
  14. Feb 15, 2007 #13
    Well well well...I would never think so.
  15. Feb 15, 2007 #14

Homework Helper

It's not about the wallet, it's about the money in your wallet. The money is handled by thousands of people, isn't it? Unless you're talking about a wallet without money. :biggrin:

As for Charles Gerba, he sounds like a sexist. :devil: :tongue2:
  16. Feb 15, 2007 #15
    OK how do you wash your money then, apart from laundering it :wink: :smile:
  17. Feb 15, 2007 #16

Homework Helper

I use my toothbrush. :tongue:
  18. Feb 15, 2007 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but reading the entire story says the real culprits are food kept in the desk and make-up cases, both of which were more common in women's desks than men's. And then there was one other comment about having more contact with children.

Okay, I have no idea why you'd keep your food in your desk rather than a refrigerator. Don't keep food in your desk and you'll probably eliminate both "germs" and some of that weight you keep gaining.

As for make-up, I rarely wear it, and certainly don't store it in my desk, so no problem there.

And germy children...it seems if men were doing their fair share of parenting, that would equalize. Just hang around the desks of those of us women who don't have children. :biggrin:

Lastly, yes, it's a good question that wasn't addressed in the article...what kind of bacteria? Are we talking infectious diseases here, or ordinary bacteria that will cause no harm? Keep in mind that the study was funded by Clorox, so is unlikely to want to reveal to you that they were all harmless bacteria and you really don't need to spend money disinfecting your desk with bleach.
  19. Feb 15, 2007 #18

Homework Helper

Probably because you keep your pens and paper in your refrigerator. :biggrin:
  20. Feb 15, 2007 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now what I've love to see would be a comparison of the desks of the germ-phobes (those constantly using hand sanitizer and who won't touch doorknobs for fear of the germs on them) vs normal people. :devil:
  21. Feb 15, 2007 #20

Homework Helper

Surprisingly, the germ-phobes desks would probably smell bad because of all that crap on it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?