Efficient Study Methods for College Math: Tips & Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of studying for upper division math, science, and engineering courses at a 4-year university. The speaker's calculus III professor emphasizes the need for better study skills but fails to provide specific recommendations. The conversation then shifts to asking for efficient study methods, with suggestions such as reading and thinking about lesson materials, following derivations, and comparing one's work with examples in the book. The importance of utilizing class notes is also emphasized.
sam90
im a sophomore at a junior college, and my calculus III prof. keeps ranting and raving about how we need to have better study skills, since at a 4 yr. university, in upper division math, science, engineering courses they go at a faster pace and cover more difficult subject matter. unfortunately, he never makes any recommendations as to what a student should do to study more efficiently. what is an efficient study method? how do you study? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus III is difficult, maybe not for everyone, but for many/some.
Read lesson and instructional discussions and think! Reread them and think again! Try to follow derivations and try to do examples in the section yourself, and then compare your work with the next few steps of the example. If there is another example in the section, again try to do that example yourself too, and then check your steps, work, and answer with the rest of this example shown in the book section.
... NOW, try to reread and think again.
Check your class notes to see if there is helpful information for you to use to make the book section more understandable.

1. How can I improve my study habits for college math?

There are several ways to improve your study habits for college math. Some tips include creating a study schedule, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, practicing regularly, and seeking help from a tutor or professor when needed.

2. What are some effective note-taking strategies for college math?

Effective note-taking strategies for college math include writing down key concepts and formulas, using different colors to highlight important information, and organizing your notes in a clear and organized manner. It is also helpful to review and condense your notes after class.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for college math?

To stay motivated while studying for college math, it is important to set specific goals, reward yourself for reaching milestones, and remind yourself of the bigger picture and the benefits of mastering math skills. It can also be helpful to study with a group or partner for accountability and support.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me study for college math?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you study for college math. Some examples include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and online practice quizzes and exercises provided by your textbook or university.

5. How can I best prepare for exams in college math?

To prepare for exams in college math, it is important to review and practice regularly, create a study guide or summary of key concepts and formulas, and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed. It is also helpful to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the exam.