Maximizing Study Time: How Many Times Should You Review Material?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of studying and how to effectively remember information. One person mentions the technique of going over material at least 6 times to store it in long-term memory, while another describes their personal method of taking notes, transcribing them, and highlighting key points. They also mention only using this method for subjects they are not interested in, such as humanities courses.
land_of_ice
When you are studying are you trying to learn what you don't really get, most of the studying time that you put in, or is that time for you more spent, re-enforcing things you already know?

Physics news on Phys.org
I always heard that you have to go over something 6 times until it becomes stored in long-term memory. I usually take notes during a lecture, that evening I will transcribe them into a better format (in pen), filling in everything in a little more detail. The next day I will simple read them over highlighting the things I could not immediately remember. After that I will review only the highlighted material. Then I will re-review everything and type the notes up clear, compact, and concise. Before any major test I just scan over the notes, and I usually know everything, thus feel more confident on the tests.

That way I go over it at least 6 times before it's needed.

I don't do this for everything though. If it is a subject I am really interested in I won't start this method until I get stuck on something. It helped out a great deal in some of my humanaties courses where I was required to remember names/places/ideas/movements/artists that I really had no interest in.

What are the most effective study techniques for classes?

The most effective study techniques for classes vary from person to person, but some common techniques include creating study guides, practicing active learning methods such as summarizing and self-quizzing, and breaking up studying into smaller chunks of time instead of cramming.

How can I improve my memory for class material?

To improve memory for class material, it is important to engage in active learning techniques, such as making associations and connections between new information and existing knowledge, using mnemonic devices, and regularly reviewing material instead of relying on last-minute cramming.

Is it better to study alone or with a study group?

This depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone in a quiet environment, while others may find it helpful to study with a group and discuss material together. Experiment with both and see what works best for you.

How can I stay motivated while studying for classes?

Staying motivated while studying for classes can be challenging, but some tips include setting specific and achievable goals, finding a study environment that works for you, taking breaks when needed, and rewarding yourself after completing a study session.

How can I manage my time effectively while studying for multiple classes?

To manage time effectively while studying for multiple classes, it can be helpful to create a schedule or study plan, prioritize tasks based on importance and due dates, and use time-management techniques such as the Pomodoro method. It is also important to take breaks and not overwork yourself.