1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Study tips for Gen-Ed classes?

1. Jan 17, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I'm a freshman that's about to begin my second semester taking 3 technical courses and 1 gen-ed course. I've gotten accustomed to studying for math and science classes in university, but I have to take this non-western gen-ed (and due to scheduling conflicts with my main 3 classes, I'm taking a course on a subject I'm not really interested at all) and I'm not really sure how i should go about properly studying this kind of material. In high school, I would spend way too much time taking notes then studying those notes and reading chapters from the text only to get a high B/low A. I know university is a whole different ball-game, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for studying classes like these that concern subjects like mythology.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It might help to know what the subject is and what the course objectives are for someone to help you out. I would imaging that the studying techniques could be very different between a course in history, a course in music, or a course in English literature.

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Difficult to say. Mythology may require some human maturity unlike what is needed for mathematics and sciences; but on the other hand, your ability to study and look for a sense or order could be strong enough to help you as a student in the Mythology course. Use the syllabus for your course if one is provided, and study the material before the topics are presented in the class meetings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook