Is Over-Studying Detrimental to a Mathematician's Success?

• Studying
  • Thread starter simplicity123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary: I don't think it's a good idea. I think it's better to have a balance in life--not to live and breathe Mathematics.In summary, the person is saying that they understand 10 hours of studying per day, but 15 hours is too much.
snowman said:
Ahaaah! that explains it. I'm also guessing your indian or azn and that you have a shytload of fam pressure on you??
Incorrect. I don't get fam pressure. Just from an early age say like five always thought I would be a genius.

Nano-Passion said:
To OP: You will run into a lot of problems that way. Studying all day with no exercise isn't exactly smart for your health. You only have 9 hours left of the day which you need for sleep. You need time to take breaks or you won't retain the information as much, and you still need to eat, drink, rest, etc.

How long do you think you can sustain 15 hours a day of study? A professor of mine was a mathematician, he told me how he studied 18 hours a day this college summer and he was so out of touch with reality. He told me of the time he went to order grocery food and the lady asked him a question, he whispered, when she said she didn't hear him he raised his voice too much.

Its just an example that extended periods of isolation just isn't THAT great. I see the professor a lot and he sometimes seems really out of touch with reality, I remember speaking with him a couple of times and his mind was completely drifting off somewhere else. Granted though, he is actually my favorite math/physics professor.
I eat a lot and I actually sleep a lot. Trying to cut down the hours I sleep but finding it impossible.

I don't plan to become anti-social. Just plan to not have any fun and just studying. I plan to talk to the lecturers more than I do now. Also, I might set up study sessions or become a PASS tutor and help out first year student. Becoming anti-social will not make me smarter. Like would want to be more like Paul Erdos for the next couple of years.

Lavabug said:
I agree with "quality over quantity for sure", but unless you're flawlessly efficient with your time, the more the merrier. Just don't pull 12-hour sessions regularly. Get your share of exercise, distractions/vacations, etc every now and then, because your health comes first.

Firstly I suffer badly from so called health anxiety so what ever I do I would worry a lot about dying. But, why does health come first? at the end of the day I'm going to die. Could either die doing great stuff or die doing mediocre stuff. That's how I see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
But, why does health come first? at the end of the day I'm going to die. Could either die doing great stuff or die doing mediocre stuff. That's how I see it.

What difference does doing something great vs. mediocre have once you're dead? Yet this:

I don't plan to become anti-social. Just plan to not have any fun and just studying.

has a *HUGE* effect on you... while you're alive (that is, when you feel the consequences of it). You'll burn yourself out, unless it's coming from within yourself. Statements like the one directly above about not having any fun make me think that it's not coming from a deep passion of yours, or that at some point it won't anymore. I had this happen to me, and I was similar to you. I still love physics, but I took about a month or two (thankfully it happened right before summer break started) to read some philosophy and think about that stuff for a while.

You need to be careful, you don't realize that you could ruin your love for mathematics and/or physics if you push yourself too hard. After I was 'recovering' from burnout (I'd taken max loads of all maths and physics classes, plus doing research), it took me a while to get back into it. For some time I thought I'd lost it completely, and it was kind of weird and scary. When that happens, you tend to learn your lesson. If you're going to do 15 hours a day, at least build up to it that way you're able to assess yourself at each step, instead of jumping right in (and possibly drowning).

If you study 15 hours a day, how would you have any time for PhysicsForums?!

Likes Ganitadnya
Retribution said:
You're projecting your values. One can have social skills without ever having a friend. Some people prefer to study and keep to themselves rather than being social butterflies. Why is this so hard for some people to accept, especially on an educational forum?

You, along with others in this thread, are COMPLETELY missing the point. Intentionally devoting all your time to some singular obsession is unacceptable. It is unhealthy; there are PLENTY of studies linking such behavior to depression and reduced life spans. I think the problem is most people that come onto the forum saying "Oh I want to study 58 hours a day 10 days a week! I figured out how to survive on peanuts alone!" have this unrealistic belief deep down that they'll become the next Einstein or Tesla or whatever. And you're basically sacrificing your own life for something, even if it were to happen, would be completely unenjoyable by the person with the obsession.

If this was someone saying he's going to study how to make the best soda 15 hours a day for the rest of his life, people would be saying they need to seek psychiatric help. Remember, just because someone may have an obsession with something you personally enjoy doesn't mean it can't be brought to unhealthy levels.

I'd say, if your finals are in three days, then studying 15 hours a day is acceptable. I wouldn't do it, but it's ok.
But studying 15 hours A DAY? That's seriously unhealthy and not productive at all! You're going to be burnt out in a matter of weeks!

I can't believe that people on this thread support this kind of behaviour...

Agreed Pengwuino...

I study more efficiently (more work in less time) when I am studying in a group so I rarely study alone. OP, something to consider ... Also, take care to distinguish between studying for 15 hours and staying in library for 15 hours.

Just do whatever you like, you will find your limits.

P.S. Grigori Perelma is crazy who is leeching off his mother IIRC, SRC: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1686794/posts.

hadsed said:
has a *HUGE* effect on you... while you're alive (that is, when you feel the consequences of it). You'll burn yourself out, unless it's coming from within yourself. Statements like the one directly above about not having any fun make me think that it's not coming from a deep passion of yours, or that at some point it won't anymore. I had this happen to me, and I was similar to you. I still love physics, but I took about a month or two (thankfully it happened right before summer break started) to read some philosophy and think about that stuff for a while.
I have been thinking about stuff for the past half a year. I did some stuff I'm not proud off and failed to be logical. I suppose I'm heavily influenced by Buddhism, but there is a concept of Enlightenment. In strong way I see knowledge as Enlightenment and studying as meditation. Some Buddhist monks meditate 15 hours a day.

hadsed said:
You need to be careful, you don't realize that you could ruin your love for mathematics and/or physics if you push yourself too hard. After I was 'recovering' from burnout (I'd taken max loads of all maths and physics classes, plus doing research), it took me a while to get back into it. For some time I thought I'd lost it completely, and it was kind of weird and scary. When that happens, you tend to learn your lesson. If you're going to do 15 hours a day, at least build up to it that way you're able to assess yourself at each step, instead of jumping right in (and possibly drowning).
I don't know. It's sort of like genetics to me. Like I failed Physics(literally got ungraded in Alevels) hence doing Maths, however when I failed it and was depressed the first thing I did was buy a lot of chess books and tried to become a grand master. I'm crap at chess so I never could improve at it.

Don't think failure is part of my genes. Even at my worst moment my brain is thinking of how to go forward.

Mororvia said:
If you study 15 hours a day, how would you have any time for PhysicsForums?!
I actually came here for advice on PhD. Plus how to study Algebraic geometry and algebraic topology. I plan to get rid of laptop in a week or so.

Pengwuino said:
You, along with others in this thread, are COMPLETELY missing the point. Intentionally devoting all your time to some singular obsession is unacceptable. It is unhealthy; there are PLENTY of studies linking such behavior to depression and reduced life spans. I think the problem is most people that come onto the forum saying "Oh I want to study 58 hours a day 10 days a week! I figured out how to survive on peanuts alone!" have this unrealistic belief deep down that they'll become the next Einstein or Tesla or whatever. And you're basically sacrificing your own life for something, even if it were to happen, would be completely unenjoyable by the person with the obsession.
A lot is probably genetics. From the age of 7 I thought I was going to become next Einstein. Can't really turn that off like if I had no OCD would probably be a lot different. Personally the stress of trying to balance life is greater than if I did Maths. Like I worry a lot about my niece and if I got a gf I would have to deal with stuff like getting cheated on.

I just want life to be simple. But, life is complex and illogical. Episode of heroes. The guy is just using his super powers to save people. I want my future to be just doing Maths like GH Hardy.

Pengwuino said:
If this was someone saying he's going to study how to make the best soda 15 hours a day for the rest of his life, people would be saying they need to seek psychiatric help. Remember, just because someone may have an obsession with something you personally enjoy doesn't mean it can't be brought to unhealthy levels.
Well, soda isn't helpful. In a way if I posted saying I'm going to study 15 hours a day to cure cancer. I bet you would be saying different stuff, especially if one of your family member suffered from it.

micromass said:
I'd say, if your finals are in three days, then studying 15 hours a day is acceptable. I wouldn't do it, but it's ok.
But studying 15 hours A DAY? That's seriously unhealthy and not productive at all! You're going to be burnt out in a matter of weeks!

I can't believe that people on this thread support this kind of behaviour...

Personally when I do burn out I got plans to use it Also, think switching thinking modes will stop that. Let's say I burn out and can no longer write, then I will start to draw pictures. Even burnt out I must be able to do something.

simplicity123 said:
A lot is probably genetics. From the age of 7 I thought I was going to become next Einstein. Can't really turn that off like if I had no OCD would probably be a lot different. Personally the stress of trying to balance life is greater than if I did Maths. Like I worry a lot about my niece and if I got a gf I would have to deal with stuff like getting cheated on.

One of the things about having OCD is learning to deal with it. You don't sound like you're dealing with it properly. It's can be a quirk and it can also be a destructive personality disorder.
Well, soda isn't helpful. In a way if I posted saying I'm going to study 15 hours a day to cure cancer. I bet you would be saying different stuff, especially if one of your family member suffered from it.

I have had multiple family members who have died of cancer and have cancer right now. Don't give me that wanna-be self-righteous bs. And trust me, the real life importance of current mathematical research doesn't hold a candle to the research behind cancer treatment.

I would never be so selfish as to demand anyone spend such ridiculous amounts of time trying to cure something that even effects me. Ironically, one of the things people who have dealt with cancer tend to learn is how to appreciate the one life they've been given and the people around them.

Pengwuino said:
You, along with others in this thread, are COMPLETELY missing the point. Intentionally devoting all your time to some singular obsession is unacceptable. It is unhealthy; there are PLENTY of studies linking such behavior to depression and reduced life spans.

Actually, could you link to these? I'm not sure how they would be tagged, I tried a few google scholar searches but came up empty handed. The search is muddled up by the comorbidity of OCD and depression (which coincidentally is relevant to your point; if this sort of depression is unavoidable for the OCD sufferer, then channeling repetitive behavior into something constructive is good; conversely, it might worsen depression).Anyway, I think we're being a bit vague here; it's probably good to clear this up a bit.

When you're talking about studying 15 hours a day, this conjures up the image of someone sitting for 15 hours with a stack of books, taking notes out of them for 15 hours straight.

Obviously this isn't what you mean, and if it is it doesn't matter because it isn't what you're going to do. You have to take bathroom breaks and eat. In any event, it isn't rational to try to fast all day or to not take breaks. You have to take breaks if you want to optimize your absorption. Preferably a mid-day nap on top of this.

Another option, as was mentioned, is that you actually mean that you're going to the library for 15 hours and will study for the majority of the time you are there, but you will take breaks. That seems more reasonable, though 15 hours at the library still seems a bit extreme.

A further question is; are you going to take a pause to think about the material you have just read and draw out the implications, or are you just going to remember it for a while and use it for a couple of problems and then forget it?

I'm someone who spends the bulk of my time on self improvement. I study math several hours a day (not counting the gaps), I also read articles from other disciplines and I write quite a bit in order to consolidate my thoughts. I practice my music (I'm very proficient at guitar, I practiced 5-8 hours a day for 3 years during high school when I thought I was going to go to music school) and play Go and work out some.

This, to me, feels perfectly balanced. I feel the best when I'm working towards some goal, be it improving to some level of proficiency or solving a problem or writing an article. I am usually working on something, and I am (on average) awake at least 15 hours a day. I think that one can improve most efficiently by improving across multiple areas, this diversifies your day and allows different modes of thinking to come into play.

I also would like to say that I can be very obsessive about my interests at times, even to the point of neglecting my classes in order to study a subject. There have been times when I would feel nothing but anxiety and think of nothing other than the topic whenever I would have to go do something else. I would always enjoy learning about the subject though, so it wasn't as though I felt like I was cutting out fun stuff.

Pengwuino said:
And trust me, the real life importance of current mathematical research doesn't hold a candle to the research behind cancer treatment.

This reminds me of the assertion (which was given in jest, but I think has a great deal of truth to it) that if Ed Witten had AIDS we would already have a cure. I really enjoy pure mathematics research, but I know in my heart of hearts that it is one of the least socially useful things I could be doing. I try (within fairly narrow bounds, admittedly) to balance it out with learning biology and neuroscience, which are significantly more relevant (aging research in particular is an interest of mine, and I wish I knew significantly more about the mechanics of the theories), in the hopes that I can eventually do some kind of useful applied work that ends up making some kind of difference.

There really isn't any room for self-righteousness in mathematics or theoretical physics.

I'm going to be blunt: if you think you will actually benefit from 15 hours a day of studying, you're not a genius.

Good point Intervenient.

In response to rootX--I completely disagree with group study; it is hard enough to dedicate yourself to solid study time, getting a GROUP to truly, efficiently study is an even larger problem IMO. Also, I find group study actually mixes me up for the most part--I know that a lot of people swear by it and I have no problems doing group work but I would NEVER depend on a group to help me understand key concepts; if I do not truly understand the concepts it's my a** on the chopping block. If one wants to supplement with group work--more power to them, however, one must be reasonably efficient in terms of self-study to survive.

My my, look at all of these opinions flying around.

Intervenient said:
I'm going to be blunt: if you think you will actually benefit from 15 hours a day of studying, you're not a genius.

How witty.

Bourbaki1123 said:
How witty.

How is that even witty? I'm being completely, 100% honest. If he was a legitimate genius, the idea of studying 15 hours a day in seclusion wouldn't even be an option. As another posters has already pointed out, when do you eat? When do you use the bathroom? How do you prevent burn out? Anyone who had even a little sense to them would know this is 100% impossible.I can't believe some people in here aren't calling him out on this crap. Let's face it, it's all well and dandy to think you're Einstein at age 7, but at some point you have to realize you're not a genius. You can be smart, as he's shown competence in his areas of interest, but genius is something that not only you know, but people around you can sense or be shown through college work. You'd have been discovered by a professor (remember guys, this is the guy who said that he's bad at calculus and said he can't even subtract simple numbers), and you wouldn't even CONSIDER a 15 hour study schedule. It's unrealistic, and it's down right stupid. Find an area of math that interests you, and work on it, reasonably. The fruits of a focused, 4-5 hour study session a day on a single topic of interest is far more beneficial than this 15 hours a day nonsense.

I haven't read all the posts, but it's really simple you decide what you want to do with your time, all other posts just tell you how other people spend their time.

If you really wanted to do this, you wouldn't waste time asking others for their advice.

Is your iPad waterproof? Then you can study in the shower too. That will make it 15 hours and 20 minutes that you can study!

You should study very hard. Then you can make a machine like in Total Recall or the Matrix - then you get get all the knowledge by sitting in the machine, and you wouldn't need to study 15 hours a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
atyy said:
Is your ipad waterproof? Then you can study in the shower too. That will make it 15 hours and 20 minutes that you can study!
In light of the rather serious discussion at hand, in my dorm showers last year, if there was a particularly difficult problem, I would often take a wet-erase pen into the shower with me and work on it. Easily my most productive 20 minutes of the day :D

Intervenient said:
How is that even witty?

It wasn't.

atyy said:
Is your iPad waterproof? Then you can study in the shower too. That will make it 15 hours and 20 minutes that you can study!

You should study very hard. Then you can make a machine like in Total Recall or the Matrix - then you get get all the knowledge by sitting in the machine, and you wouldn't need to study 15 hours a day.

Or Battlefield Earth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzrSAGJW6k"

Last edited by a moderator:
Bourbaki1123 said:
It wasn't.

Then why would you even make a comment? Need to be the guy at the party who makes a little remark after something said? Need attention?

Intervenient said:
Then why would you even make a comment? Need to be the guy at the party who makes a little remark after something said? Need attention?

Sarcasm. I was jabbing you a bit for making the comment. By the way, I already made essentially the same points you made in your reply several posts back, though I tried to be less hostile about it. I don't like parties. <|;3

Pengwuino said:

That is their problem. Are they hurting anyone or breaking any laws? No. I also doubt most people who want to study that much have the idea they'll become the next Einstein or Tesla, and if that is the case, then I agree that they should not study that much. But if they are studying that much out of pure interest and not harming anyone or breaking any laws, then I say more power to them. If anything, I envy them and their resolve. You may call it unhealthy, but there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with what they are doing.

I wish you the best of luck. After this semester is over please post back explaining what happened. If you are successful in studying effectively 15 hours per day I'd be interested in how you managed it. I'd also be interested to here how much you accomplished.

Retribution said:
That is their problem. Are they hurting anyone or breaking any laws? No. I also doubt most people who want to study that much have the idea they'll become the next Einstein or Tesla, and if that is the case, then I agree that they should not study that much. But if they are studying that much out of pure interest and not harming anyone or breaking any laws, then I say more power to them. If anything, I envy them and their resolve. You may call it unhealthy, but there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with what they are doing.

Plus, people tend to be very hand-wavy when it comes to declaring something unhealthy. I don't listen to them unless they can produce some journal articles that support their point. Usually they can't, or if they do the articles are only loosely related. In the latter case I have to insist that they at least give an overview of how the articles support their claims.

That said, there is the worrisome notion presented in the OP that he will become like Perlman, which is highly unlikely.

simplicity123 said:
I just feel that if I don't study that much I will not amount to anything. I used to study 10 hours a day two years ago and my grades jumped up a lot. Like I was getting 85-90% in subjects. However, friends on another forum and friends at uni said that I needed to balance life and I started to do less and less work.

Actually, I'm a bit confused. Isn't 70% the cutoff for a first class degree? I know you wanted to catch back up grade-wise, but wouldn't your time studying be better spent if you divided it up among the subjects that interest you? I expect having the background to do research and maybe pull off a publication or two by the time you graduate would be significantly more useful if you're going to be putting in that much time. Maybe you should find a professor who is willing to work with you, one who specializes in an area you're interested in.

Retribution said:

Emphasis mine.

Although in the end, I have no interest in how the OP turns out and if he makes a rational decision to do this insane idea, so be it.

simplicity123 said:
Firstly I suffer badly from so called health anxiety so what ever I do I would worry a lot about dying. But, why does health come first? at the end of the day I'm going to die. Could either die doing great stuff or die doing mediocre stuff. That's how I see it.

Do I really need to answer this for you? Have you ever tried studying under a cold with high fever, back pain from excessive sedentarianism, or any other ailment? Because with your lifestyle that's what you're asking for. Improper sleeping/eating, lack of exercise and continual mental stress is a surefire way to weaken your immune system. You're going to be feeling pretty brilliant when that happens.

simplicity123 said:
I have been thinking about stuff for the past half a year. I did some stuff I'm not proud off and failed to be logical. I suppose I'm heavily influenced by Buddhism, but there is a concept of Enlightenment. In strong way I see knowledge as Enlightenment and studying as meditation. Some Buddhist monks meditate 15 hours a day.

Meditation [itex]\neq[/itex] studying. Meditation is quite the opposite of studying.

If you have OCD, then seek professional help. There are medications out there which can really help you. If you don't seek help, then it will only get worse. I'm talking from personal experience.

Bourbaki1123 said:
This reminds me of the assertion (which was given in jest, but I think has a great deal of truth to it) that if Ed Witten had AIDS we would already have a cure. I really enjoy pure mathematics research, but I know in my heart of hearts that it is one of the least socially useful things I could be doing. I try (within fairly narrow bounds, admittedly) to balance it out with learning biology and neuroscience, which are significantly more relevant (aging research in particular is an interest of mine, and I wish I knew significantly more about the mechanics of the theories), in the hopes that I can eventually do some kind of useful applied work that ends up making some kind of difference.

There really isn't any room for self-righteousness in mathematics or theoretical physics.
I see it the other way round. People lives are really not worth it and it would be a waste of time trying to cure cancer if you could say figure out something interesting in Physics. Like what if Turing thought his work with computer was rubbish and instead he focused on his biological theories, we wouldn't have computers.

Intervenient said:
How is that even witty? I'm being completely, 100% honest. If he was a legitimate genius, the idea of studying 15 hours a day in seclusion wouldn't even be an option. As another posters has already pointed out, when do you eat? When do you use the bathroom? How do you prevent burn out? Anyone who had even a little sense to them would know this is 100% impossible.I can't believe some people in here aren't calling him out on this crap. Let's face it, it's all well and dandy to think you're Einstein at age 7, but at some point you have to realize you're not a genius. You can be smart, as he's shown competence in his areas of interest, but genius is something that not only you know, but people around you can sense or be shown through college work. You'd have been discovered by a professor (remember guys, this is the guy who said that he's bad at calculus and said he can't even subtract simple numbers), and you wouldn't even CONSIDER a 15 hour study schedule. It's unrealistic, and it's down right stupid. Find an area of math that interests you, and work on it, reasonably. The fruits of a focused, 4-5 hour study session a day on a single topic of interest is far more beneficial than this 15 hours a day nonsense.
When did I mention seclusion? I'm not planning to lock myself up in a room and just read books. I plan to go to all lectures, plan to talk to lecturers after the lecture. Plus I plan to try and get more contact with a lecturer I like by doing a project this year when I don't need to. Also, when does anything that you said take time. I can eat and study, I can cook and study. It's only takes me about 20 minutes to cook my dinner anyway.

On genius. I've haven't met someone that was totally beyond me. Intelligence is not static and genius isn't static. I'm not actually bad at calculus, my top grade is an Analysis and second is calculus 90% and then 94%. Also, calculus isn't important. Subtraction isn't important. You guys are just seeing it through Physicists eyes. I can't do calculus now because I haven't needed it for a year. Reject the view genius is born. It isn't.

Bourbaki1123 said:
Actually, I'm a bit confused. Isn't 70% the cutoff for a first class degree? I know you wanted to catch back up grade-wise, but wouldn't your time studying be better spent if you divided it up among the subjects that interest you? I expect having the background to do research and maybe pull off a publication or two by the time you graduate would be significantly more useful if you're going to be putting in that much time. Maybe you should find a professor who is willing to work with you, one who specializes in an area you're interested in.
Well, I'm trying to do that. However, I doubt I would be able to get original research by two years in the very hard subjects I plan to go into. I'm currently working on weaknesses. If I see a weakness I would focus on that. Hence I'm studying number theory right now.

Lavabug said:
Do I really need to answer this for you? Have you ever tried studying under a cold with high fever, back pain from excessive sedentarianism, or any other ailment? Because with your lifestyle that's what you're asking for. Improper sleeping/eating, lack of exercise and continual mental stress is a surefire way to weaken your immune system. You're going to be feeling pretty brilliant when that happens.
Trust me I feel ill 24/7. I have throat problems that make it feel like I'm being strangled. I've went to the doctors about 40 times and he does nothing through he did give me blood test a lot. Finally one day I went to a doctor and it wasn't my main doctor. He told me that I am fine and that you been hear 40 times already. So always feel ill and it's pointless going to the doctor as they think I'm fine. My family think I'm fine when I complain about throat. So gave up going to doctor and just feel ill 24/7.

You're a little crazy, OP. That can be okay, but I don't think anyone here is going to convince you to not do what you're about to do. Not sure why you would make a thread about it if you're not willing to listen...

But hey, you'll figure out soon enough if it's going to work for you or not. Hopefully you don't burn out, hopefully you don't have any health problems, and hopefully at the end of this you're much better off. You do need to recognize that not one person here has advocated for your idea, so keep that in mind if you're feeling like it's possible you haven't magically morphed into David Hilbert...

Why did you make this topic simplicity? It seems like you've made this topic not to see if this is feasible or advisable, but just to get a sort of congratulations or provide shock value. Instead of trying to justify our criticism, why not take some advise?As another poster mentioned, keep this thread updated. Very interested in how this all turns out.

simplicity123 said:
I see it the other way round. People lives are really not worth it and it would be a waste of time trying to cure cancer if you could say figure out something interesting in Physics. Like what if Turing thought his work with computer was rubbish and instead he focused on his biological theories, we wouldn't have computers.

Turing knew what he was doing and saw some of the applications of his work. Plus he was doing his work a century ago. Plus you have to make the assumption that you're as good as Alan Turing in order for this to make any sense.

Besides, I don't even think that's true, Emil Post and Alonzo Church were also doing work in computability that led to equivalent systems.

It is a fact that, unless you make several improbable assumptions, things are not the other way around for you, no matter how you choose to see them.

Why do you think you can be Perelman? Perelman was doing tons of mathematics from the age of 10 and was put through rigorous training regimens, this on top of his great talent. What have you done, mathematically, that is telling you "yeah, I have what it takes to be a world class mathematician, I'm miles ahead of the students at Cambridge and MIT and Harvard" ?

Intervenient said:
Why did you make this topic simplicity? It seems like you've made this topic not to see if this is feasible or advisable, but just to get a sort of congratulations or provide shock value. Instead of trying to justify our criticism, why not take some advise?As another poster mentioned, keep this thread updated. Very interested in how this all turns out.
Well, I was actually thinking of taking days off. Like studying 15 hours for four days a week and then taking the rest of the days off. But, now I doubt I will do that, particularly the comments in this thread.

Bourbaki1123 said:
Turing knew what he was doing and saw some of the applications of his work. Plus he was doing his work a century ago. Plus you have to make the assumption that you're as good as Alan Turing in order for this to make any sense.

Besides, I don't even think that's true, Emil Post and Alonzo Church were also doing work in computability that led to equivalent systems.

It is a fact that, unless you make several improbable assumptions, things are not the other way around for you, no matter how you choose to see them.

Why do you think you can be Perelman? Perelman was doing tons of mathematics from the age of 10 and was put through rigorous training regimens, this on top of his great talent. What have you done, mathematically, that is telling you "yeah, I have what it takes to be a world class mathematician, I'm miles ahead of the students at Cambridge and MIT and Harvard" ?
I suppose that was a bad example seeing as Turing was working on computer science to crack German war codes and he was thinking of AI.

On Perelman. Granted he did have very good genetics(his mother was a top mathematician) and had very good training. I'm not saying I'm a world class mathematician I'm saying I can become one. If that was true I would just have to work harder. Plus like ten-twenty years of studying 15 hours a day. You aren't going to be noob.

If I thought I was a genius I would work less. Last year I was studying less and having more fun. Got crappy grades and didn't improve at all. Hence, why I'm now studying crazy hours.