1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Studying abroad , and studying engineering , different topics covered for the same

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    for the same degree:

Has anyone ever studied abroad? In 'Studying Abroad for Dummies', (the book) it says that if you study abroad that you may not get transferable credit for your classes, because the educational system (requirements and such) is different in the UK than it would be in the US.

The book claims that when you study abroad in the UK for example, you will be taught different things.

What is different about an engineering degree in the UK vs. anywhere else?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2
    Re: Studying abroad , and studying engineering , different topics covered for the sam

I studied abroad in mathematics, and I was able to transfer all my credits except my language course. The math department directly transferred the courses that my university offered, and used special topics courses to transfer the rest. The language course wasn't transferred because my university didn't offer the language I took, but it's a pity that the English and foreign language department at my school (indirectly) doesn't encourage study abroad. You think they would, but they offered nothing to help get the course transferred.

I guess the advice you should take from this is to ask your department what they will transfer and what they won't, and if you don't know them personally, it would be best to get it in writing before you leave.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    Re: Studying abroad , and studying engineering , different topics covered for the sam

Hey there, Just curious; where did you study abroad and where did you travel from origionally?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook