1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Studying Abroad in Germany.

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1

So I have been considering study abroad in Germany. I'm currently here on highschool exchange and have been here since febuary. When I return to Australia I will return to university and start studying engineering. But I think given the opportunity to study in another country and another language, it shouldn't be overlooked up. Though it would mean another year of German language courses and perhaps bridging courses.

I just asking to see if anyone has any experience or advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Experience in another country is always good, apart from the fun and personal development it makes you stand out from all the other new grads and looks good to an employer
    Depending on what kind of engineering you do, speaking German wouldn't hurt.
  4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    I already go about day to day german activities with no real problems. Sure i still have difficulties. I intend to study electrical.
  5. Oct 9, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will probably need more German to follow the lectures than to work in Germany.
    Most technical people will speak English and it's standard in many international projects. We sell our software in Germany in English because most of the other software they use is in English and they have learnt the English technical terms. Germans are much less protective of the language than the French.

Germany and the Netherlands are probably the easiest places to work in Europe. I know a few people who worked for ESA in Holland for years and never got beyond ordering a beer in Dutch.
  6. Oct 9, 2007 #5
    Yeah. Most universities offer the german courses, etc, preperation courses.
  7. Oct 9, 2007 #6
    I just sent an email to university of Ulm and asked about bridging courses and studying engineering there. And I just released I made a mistake in my german. I hate the differences between speaking and writing. Cause i talk to my self when writing in german, that way if it sounds right Im certain I am right.
  8. Oct 9, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what language requirements the German uni will have.
    UK universities tend to only ask for TOEFL scores from non-EU students, presumably they just trust EU students not to come if they can't speak English.

Presumably this exchange is organsied through your own uni so they will have approved the German syllabus and counting it towards your degree?
  9. Oct 9, 2007 #8
    Highschool exchange currently. I havent started university.
  10. Oct 9, 2007 #9
    You need to pass some kind of German test, usually issued by the universities. Judging from the level of proficiency the forreign students in my classes display, this can't be too hard, especially if you're already able to handle day to day situations. I'd say, go for it.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  11. Oct 13, 2007 #10
    If you want to study physics, you should consider the Technical University of Munich or the Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich. Both are among the best German universities regarding physics and mathematics.
    However, you can also consider the Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zürich) in Switzerland, which is famous as well.
    All of those three offer special German courses in the beginning. But you need to proof your German by taking a German test
  12. Oct 15, 2007 #11
    Well ive sent 2emails to 2 different universities. One has replied telling me to contact another person about my questions, which I have done so. And the other university hasnt replied at all. Which makes it difficult and also makes me question.
  13. Nov 21, 2007 #12
    I have decided and I will return to Australia, because to study in Germany it was require 6.5years. Compared to in Austalia, where it would only take me a matter of 4 years or 5 with dual degree.

But Im not sure how to keep my german, because, for those of you who don't know, Australia is not exactly the most multiligual country. That is in comparison to Europe and even the USA.

I have talked to my english teacher at my german school and he said when he was in Sweden for 2years and he wanted to keep his english, he read for atleast an hour everyday.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?