Study Abroad in Germany - Advice from Experiences

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, studying abroad can be a great experience, but it's important to research the program carefully before making a decision.
Cod
I have been talking with my academic advisors about doing the Study Abroad program from school and taking classes in Germany next spring or summer semester. Just curious what y'alls thoughts are on studying abroad. I particularly want to hear from those who have actually done studying overseas while enrolled in an American university; however, I'm open to all comments on the subject of "Studying Abroad"...especially in Germany.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

**If you guys know of any links off-hand about Germany (history, culture, etc.) please share them with me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in Muenchen right now. I'm not really studying abroad though. I'm using a nanofabrication facility here to do some research. I'd say Muenchen is a nice place to be in the summer-time.

I've been to most of the major cities in Germany... my conclusion is that the girls in eastern Germany are prettier than the girls in southern Germany... but the southern German girls are more likely to walk around naked.

I wouldn't recommend studying here until you've completed your fouth semester of German. I think you'd get more out the experience that way.

Keep in mind a few things about the German education system. They attend public school for thirteen years as opposed to the American twelve. So, their last year of high school is like our first year of college; however, unlike Americans, they don't take calculus or calculus-based physics until they go to college. Also, unlike America, their curricula is very rigid. Students do not have as much freedom when it comes to choosing classes. If a person is a physics major, he/she basically just takes the required physics courses... atomic, quantum, solid state, physics-related math, etc... there really aren't any special topics classes. Also, college students do not take electives (ie no humanities, social or biological science is required for a physics major). Traditionally, there are no bachelors degrees in Germany. Basically, everyone who completes college in Germany gets the equivalent of a Master's degree (it's called a Diploma). Another oddity is that there are not regular exams in German college classes. They have two qualifiers -- one in the middle of the college career and one at the end.

I think you should know these last pieces of information, simply so that you know where you'd fit in in the German system. Hope that helps.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Cod
Just curious what y'alls thoughts are on studying abroad.

...Depends on the broad.

Oh come on, somebody had to say it!

Originally posted by LURCH
...Depends on the broad.

Oh come on, somebody had to say it!

I can't believe Entropy didn't jump on that one!

Originally posted by Tom
I can't believe Entropy didn't jump on that one!

Jump on what? the broad? :smile:

What are the benefits of studying abroad in Germany?

Studying abroad in Germany offers numerous benefits. First, it allows you to immerse yourself in a new culture and gain a global perspective. Additionally, German universities have a strong reputation for academic excellence and offer a wide range of courses in various fields. Studying in Germany also gives you the opportunity to learn a new language and make valuable connections with people from all over the world.

How do I choose the right university in Germany?

Choosing the right university in Germany can be a daunting task, but there are a few key factors to consider. First, research the universities' rankings and reputation in your field of study. Next, consider the location and cost of living. You should also look into the courses and extracurricular activities offered by the university to ensure they align with your academic and personal interests.

What is the cost of studying abroad in Germany?

The cost of studying abroad in Germany can vary depending on the university and the city you choose. Public universities in Germany do not charge tuition fees for international students, but there may be other expenses such as housing, health insurance, and transportation. It is important to create a budget and research the cost of living in your desired location before making a decision.

How can I prepare for studying abroad in Germany?

There are a few things you can do to prepare for studying abroad in Germany. First, start by learning the language and familiarizing yourself with the culture. You can also connect with current or former students who have studied abroad in Germany to get their advice and insights. Additionally, make sure to gather all necessary documents for your visa and research the visa application process.

What are some tips for adjusting to life in Germany?

Adjusting to life in Germany can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can help ease the transition. First, be open-minded and embrace the cultural differences. Make an effort to learn the language and participate in cultural activities. Connect with other international students and locals to build a support system. Lastly, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things.