Studying at big-time vs. lil time

In summary, the difference between getting a bachelor's degree from a prestigious school like Stanford or Harvard and a lesser-known UC or state college can greatly impact an individual's employment opportunities. A master's degree from an Ivy League school holds more weight in the job market compared to a bachelor's degree from a top school, and employers may favor a master's degree from a non-Ivy school over a bachelor's degree from an Ivy League school. However, in certain fields such as engineering, a master's degree can lead to a significant salary increase. Ultimately, the prestige of a school and the level of competition can greatly impact an individual's success in securing employment, especially at the Ph.D level where publication record and connections play a significant role.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So exactly what is the difference in getting your bachelors from Stanford or Harvard or you know, big name schools as compared to maybe one of the lesser known UC's or maybe some lower-rung state college (not community colleges though). And what's a BS from those big name schools compared to a Masters at the state colleges?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all about prestige and competition. A master's degree is a graduate degree that follows a bachelor's degree. Someone with a masters has a couple more years of experience in their specialization than someone with a bachelors in the equivalent department.

Now why people choose where they go is all about competition. If you were an employer and had to choose someone for a position you would want someone who came from a good school and with a lot of experience. Not all schools are inherently equal. Ivy league schools have great programs, faculty, and are world reknown.

So when it comes time to get a job, the best scenario is a graduate degree from an Ivy leage school, while a bachelors from some other college is the not so great scenario. I'd bet that a case where someone had a bachelors from an Ivy school as apposed to a masters from a non-Ivy would favor the masters more often than not. Experience matters more than prestige.

Last edited:
Yah yah, those last 2 sentences is what I am interested in. Is a masters from a non-ivy or non-world reknown school better then a BS from a big name school.

The masters degree from the non-Ivy guy hands down. Unless the master's degree came from some backwater college he's got the edge. There's also the potential that the Bachelors from the Ivy school could be completed under an honors program. That could be really impressive to an employer since most honors degrees have some graduate course work involved.

How bout when it comes down to phd vs. phd from like, a UC vs. stanford. Is it just 'hey its a phd, who really cares where it comes from' or is there a big difference to an employer.

erraticimpulse said:
The masters degree from the non-Ivy guy hands down. Unless the master's degree came from some backwater college he's got the edge. There's also the potential that the Bachelors from the Ivy school could be completed under an honors program. That could be really impressive to an employer since most honors degrees have some graduate course work involved.

I disagree. I think a master's is pretty meaningless these days (not saying this is right or wrong - just perception). A BA from Harvard or Stanford has much more prestige than a MA from Rutgers - in the eyes of the average employer.

Edit: My dad has a master's in Applied Math from U Oregon. That has meant extremely little to any of his employers. A BA from a prestigious Ivy would have been far different.

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
How bout when it comes down to phd vs. phd from like, a UC vs. stanford. Is it just 'hey its a phd, who really cares where it comes from' or is there a big difference to an employer.

Depends on the employer and what the area of employment is.

Oh don't think the competition stops at a Ph.D! It definitely makes a difference where you came from. An Ivy Ph.D. could easily secure a full professor position with tenure anywhere he wanted. If you have a Ph.D from an unknown or obscure school you may have trouble securing a position as an adjunct (unless you went to a community college to teach). This includes industry and business positions alike.

A master's degree is only important in certain fields. It's almost completely useless in sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) while a master's degree in engineering usually means a significant salary increase. That being said, if you are from a so-called elite school, many companies will hire you because they are simply looking for young bright minds that they can train. When you go work for a company, you have to be retrained anyways so there is not a huge difference between someone with a master's and bachelor's.

noobie said:
A master's degree is only important in certain fields. It's almost completely useless in sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) while a master's degree in engineering usually means a significant salary increase. That being said, if you are from a so-called elite school, many companies will hire you because they are simply looking for young bright minds that they can train. When you go work for a company, you have to be retrained anyways so there is not a huge difference between someone with a master's and bachelor's.

Good point. Didn't realize that master's were useful in engineering.

erraticimpulse said:
Oh don't think the competition stops at a Ph.D! It definitely makes a difference where you came from. An Ivy Ph.D. could easily secure a full professor position with tenure anywhere he wanted. If you have a Ph.D from an unknown or obscure school you may have trouble securing a position as an adjunct (unless you went to a community college to teach). This includes industry and business positions alike.

This is untrue. At this level, no one really cares what school you got your PHD at but rather your publication record. The only significant factor is that getting a professorship (no way you can secure one with tenure w/o previous experience) is so difficult than the connections that your advisor might have weigh in heavily.

noobie said:
This is untrue. At this level, no one really cares what school you got your PHD at but rather your publication record. The only significant factor is that getting a professorship (no way you can secure one with tenure w/o previous experience) is so difficult than the connections that your advisor might have weigh in heavily.

There's probably a correlation between the quality of your PhD school and the quality of your publications, though. Not 100%, since prestigious schools do have some weak departments.

noobie said:
A master's degree is only important in certain fields. It's almost completely useless in sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) while a master's degree in engineering usually means a significant salary increase.

Hmm.. I don't see where that has any basis. If you look on any career search engine employers specify minimum requirements for positions. It often takes a master's degree to get into higher pay positions with less experience. Check Lockheed Martin or IBM to see examples of what I mean.

juvenal said:
There's probably a correlation between the quality of your PhD school and the quality of your publications, though. Not 100%, since prestigious schools do have some weak departments.

Yes I agree- my point is that there isn't the same "elite" classification of graduate programs as there is with undergraduate programs. You have your upper tiers and lower tiers but it doesn't matter because you've got to be exceptional and made a name for yourself in order to be hired as professor (or even make it to the interview process). So departments hiring faculty members do not look at a candidate and say he got his PHD from Harvard while another person received theirs at University of Colorado and favor the Harvard PHD. Even if the two candidates were equal, I don't believe it would have much of an impact. What might be important is whom their PHD advisor was. Hypothetically speaking, if I received my PHD from Colorado under Tom Cech (nobel laureate) that would might hold more weight than if I had received my PHD at Harvard under an associate professor. It's different from undergraduate ties and bias that we often see.

Last edited:
erraticimpulse said:
Hmm.. I don't see where that has any basis. If you look on any career search engine employers specify minimum requirements for positions. It often takes a master's degree to get into higher pay positions with less experience. Check Lockheed Martin or IBM to see examples of what I mean.

Most top tier science programs (or I'll say chemistry since that is what I know) do not even offer master's degrees because most people serious about science careers head straight into the PHD program after they receive their bachelor's. And you only get a master's if for some reason you decide that you don't want to finish your PHD or you are forced to leave (ie can't pass prelims etc). It's different from engineering where there are many great master's programs and a majority of the engineering PHD's receive their master's along the way.

Last edited:
noobie said:
Yes I agree- my point is that there isn't the same "elite" classification of graduate programs as there is with undergraduate programs. You have your upper tiers and lower tiers but it doesn't matter unless you are exceptional since people don't get hired as professor (or even make it to the interview process) unless they've made a name for themselves at whatever grad program they are at. So departments hiring faculty members do not look at a candidate and say he got his PHD from Harvard while another person received theirs at University of Colorado and favor the Harvard PHD. Even if the two candidates were equal, I don't believe it would have much of an impact. What might be important is whom their PHD advisor was. Hypothetically speaking, if I received my PHD from Colorado under Tom Cech (nobel laureate) that would might hold more weight than if I had received my PHD at Harvard under an associate professor. It's different from undergraduate ties and bias that we often see.

those are some good points. I guess I can't help thinking like an undergrad as long as I'm still one of them :tongue2:

What are the benefits of studying at a big-time university?

Studying at a big-time university often means having access to top-notch facilities, renowned professors, and a diverse student body. These resources can provide a more rigorous and well-rounded education, as well as opportunities for networking and career advancement.

What are the advantages of studying at a smaller, less well-known university?

Studying at a smaller university can offer a more intimate and personalized learning experience. With smaller class sizes, students may have more opportunities for one-on-one interactions with professors and a better chance to participate in research projects. Additionally, tuition and living expenses may be lower at smaller universities.

Are job prospects better for students from big-time universities?

This can vary depending on the field of study, but in general, students from big-time universities may have more opportunities and connections for internships and job placements. However, students from smaller universities can also excel in their careers through hard work and determination.

Is the education quality better at a big-time university?

While big-time universities often have more resources and prestigious reputations, the quality of education can also depend on the individual professors and curriculum. Smaller universities may have equally dedicated and knowledgeable professors who are able to provide a high-quality education.

Which type of university is more affordable for students?

This can vary depending on the specific university and the financial aid and scholarships available. Generally, smaller universities may have lower tuition and living expenses, but big-time universities may offer more financial aid opportunities. It is important for students to research and compare costs before making a decision.