Studying? (average value, work)

In summary: The y-coordinate of the centroid can be found using the equation:y-coordinate = ∫yρdA / ∫ρdA where ρ is the density of the lamina (unknown) and dA is the differential area. The area of the lamina can be calculated using the equation:Area = ∫ydx from 0 to 8 = ∫3sqrt(x)dx from 0 to 8 = [2x^(3/2)]/3 from 0 to 8 = [128^(3/2)]/3 = 128The y-coordinate of the centroid is therefore: y-coordinate = ∫yρdA / ∫ρdA
thename1000
I'm studying for a test and it would be great if i could get step by step how to do this problem:

a.) Find the average value of the function on the interval x=1 to x=10 for f(x)=3/(1+x)^2

b.) A uniform cable hanging over the edge of a tall building is 40 ft long and weighs 50 lb. How much work is required to pull the cable to the top?

c.) A vertical dam has a semicircular gate as shown in the figure below(http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwt5.jpg), The density of water is 9800 Newtons per cubic meter. Find the hydrostatic force against the gate.

d.) Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving about the y-axis the region bounded by the x-axis and y=3x-x^3 from x=0 to x=5 (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwt5.jpg)

e.) For the lamina of density P formed by the region bounded by y=3sqrt(x) {NOT 3 times sqrt x} and the x-axis from x=0 to x=8, find the y coordinate of the centroid. (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwt5.jpg)

I don't need the final answers, but enough so that I can follow what your doing. (If you only know how to do one of these that'd be fine!) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) To find the average value of the function, we need to calculate the integral of the function over the given interval. The integral is given by:∫f(x)dx from 1 to 10 = ∫3/(1+x)^2 dx from 1 to 10 = [3 ln (1+x)]/[(1+x)^2] from 1 to 10Therefore, the average value of the function on the interval x=1 to x=10 is:Average = [3 ln (11) - 3 ln (2)]/[(11)^2 - (2)^2]b) The work required to pull the cable to the top can be calculated as follows:Work = Force x Distance = 50 lb x 40 ft = 2000 ft-lb c) The hydrostatic force against the gate can be calculated using the equation:Force = ρghA where ρ is the density of water (9800 N/m^3), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), h is the height of the dam (unknown), and A is the area of the gate (πr2). Therefore, the hydrostatic force against the gate is:Force = 9800 x 9.8 x h x (πr2) d) The volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y=3sqrt(x) and the x-axis from x=0 to x=5 can be found using the equation:Volume = ∫πy2dx from 0 to 5 = π ∫x(3sqrt(x))^2dx from 0 to 5 = π/4 ∫(9x^(5/2))dx from 0 to 5 = [9πx^(7/2)]/7 from 0 to 5 = [9π(125^(7/2)) - 9π(0^(7/2))]/7 = 27

1. How many hours should I study per day?

The average recommended amount of study time per day is around 2-3 hours. However, this can vary depending on the individual's learning style and workload. It's important to find a study schedule that works best for you.

2. How can I improve my study habits?

Some tips for improving study habits include creating a designated study space, setting specific goals, taking breaks, and using active studying techniques such as summarizing and self-testing. It's also important to stay organized and prioritize tasks.

3. What is the most effective way to retain information while studying?

The most effective way to retain information while studying is through active learning techniques, such as summarizing, self-testing, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also important to review the material regularly and make connections between new information and what you already know.

4. How can I balance studying with other responsibilities, such as work or extracurricular activities?

Balancing studying with other responsibilities can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your tasks and manage your time effectively. This may involve setting specific study hours, breaking up your studying into smaller chunks, and learning to say no to additional commitments when necessary.

5. Is it better to study alone or in a group?

The answer to this question depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some people may find it more effective to study alone, while others may benefit from studying in a group and discussing the material with others. It's important to experiment and find the study method that works best for you.