Studying Biology or Medicine in different countries

In summary: Are there no other options for studying Medicine outside of Romania? Is it worth considering studying Medicine in Romania and then pursuing a research career in Biology elsewhere? Overall, it seems like studying Biology in the UK may be the best option for you, given your interest in research and desire to emigrate from Romania. But it's important to weigh all your options and consider any potential obstacles before making a decision.
Pronghorn
I just graduated from high school and I want to continue my formal education by studying for a bachelor's degree in science. Biology is the science I am most keenly interested in, but here's where my dilemma kicks in: should I study Biology or Medicine? (I assume you're from the U.S., so let me remind you that in Europe you can study Medicine right after you graduate from high school.)

On the one hand, I like the research component of Biology; a career in research or R&D(because I don't want to get involved in the academia) fits my personality and interests to some degree. Also, I can go on to study Biology in a British University, which is thrilling because I want to emigrate from my native country, Romania, and this is my get-out-of-there-ticket.

On the other hand, I too find the practical side of Medicine appealing. I believe that I have the right skillset a doctor should have, whereas I don't see myself discovering anything ground-breaking in Biology. The downside of studying Medicine is that I could only do it in Romania. Since I abhor this place, I don't know whether I could cope living here another 6-10 years.

To recapitulate, I am in a very novel position in regards to choosing what to study right now because apart from skills and interests, my decision is also influenced by the fact that I want to emigrate from Romania.

Here are some possible outcomes:

1) Study Medicine in Romania. Graduate debt-free. Live a somewhat miserable life. Embark on an interesting and relatively 'safe' career.

2) Study Biology in the UK. Graduate with a ton of debt. Maybe live a bit happier. Choose a degree with lots of career options, none of which are deemed 'safe'.

Please chime in with any advice as to how I am to decide what and where to study.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or in Germany, where your tuition fees will range from minimal to zero. Universität Göttingen offers a B.Sc in Molecular Ecosystem Sciences that is completely in English. If you know German, then you will have other options elsewhere in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. If you know French, there's Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and France. In France, there's also the classes preparatoires aux grandes ecoles. The "BCPST" (Biologie, Chimie, Physique et Sciences de la Terre) track is the one you'd want. Or perhaps "PCSI" (Physique, Chimie et Sciences de l'Ingenieur).

Dutch university colleges (for instance, Amsterdam University College) offer bachelor's degrees taught in English. The tuition fees for EU students are ~1700 euros/year. The educational model there looks like it's loosely based on the American (although it does come from Europe) liberal arts model. On that note, Freiburg also has a new liberal arts and sciences program (taught in English) and biology is one of the available majors.

Denmark also offers some science degrees in English. The tuition fees are little higher than in the Netherlands though. Or maybe the fees for non-EU citizens were. (http://studyindenmark.dk/study-in-denmark/find-your-international-study-programme-1/bachelordynamic/masters-natural-science )

I don't know if all EU citizens can get the same loans those from the UK do, but I hear they are reasonable ones. If I recall correctly, one need not pay them back if they do not earn over a certain amount of money. Something in the order of 20k GBP/year? It's also only a small percentage of one's yearly salary that goes into paying the loans. You should look into this.

I'm in a similar position, in that going for a very applied, professional degree would be a sound financial decision. Then, I could go back to school for math or physics when I'm 40 or something. Or, I could just leave the country, get into some debts and study math/physics elsewhere. Do you have any responsibilities, financial or otherwise, toward your family that would require you to be close to them?

The way I see it, doing biology shouldn't be a problem if you can do it debt free. You can also go into medical research. ;)

Hope this helps. Let me know how this works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pronghorn said:
The downside of studying Medicine is that I could only do it in Romania.

Why? Is it a funding issue?

I understand your dilemma and can offer some insights on studying Biology or Medicine in different countries. First and foremost, it is important to follow your passion and interests when choosing a field of study. Both Biology and Medicine have their own unique aspects and can lead to fulfilling careers.

Studying Biology in the UK can offer a diverse and global perspective on the subject, which can be beneficial for your future career in research. Additionally, it can also provide opportunities for networking and collaboration with scientists from different countries. However, it is important to consider the financial aspect of studying in the UK, as it can lead to significant debt.

If you are considering studying Medicine in Romania, it is important to assess if the program aligns with your career goals and if you are willing to live in Romania for the duration of your studies. While studying Medicine in your home country may offer financial benefits, it is important to consider if it is the best fit for your personal and professional growth.

Ultimately, studying abroad can offer valuable experiences and opportunities, but it is important to carefully weigh the financial and personal factors involved. It may also be helpful to speak with professionals in both fields to gain insights and advice on potential career paths. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your passion and long-term goals. Good luck in your decision-making process.

1. How do the cost of studying biology or medicine vary among different countries?

The cost of studying biology or medicine varies greatly among different countries. Some countries, such as the United States and United Kingdom, have higher tuition fees compared to other countries like Germany and Sweden, where education is heavily subsidized. It is important to research and compare the cost of tuition, living expenses, and potential financial aid opportunities before deciding on a country to study in.

2. What are the eligibility requirements for studying biology or medicine in different countries?

The eligibility requirements for studying biology or medicine in different countries can vary. Generally, most countries require a high school diploma or equivalent for undergraduate programs and a bachelor's degree in a related field for graduate programs. Some countries may also require standardized test scores, such as the SAT or MCAT, and proof of English proficiency for international students.

3. Can international students work while studying biology or medicine in different countries?

The ability for international students to work while studying biology or medicine in different countries varies. Some countries allow international students to work part-time during their studies, while others have restrictions or do not allow it at all. It is important to research the specific rules and regulations for international students in the country you are interested in studying in.

4. How does the quality of education in biology or medicine compare among different countries?

The quality of education in biology or medicine can vary among different countries. Generally, countries with highly ranked universities, such as the United States and United Kingdom, are known for their high-quality education in these fields. However, there are also reputable universities in other countries, such as Germany and Australia, that offer excellent programs in biology and medicine. It is important to research the reputation and rankings of universities in the country you are interested in studying in.

5. What are the opportunities for research and clinical experience in different countries?

Opportunities for research and clinical experience can vary greatly among different countries. Some countries, such as the United States and United Kingdom, have a strong emphasis on research and provide ample opportunities for students to get involved in research projects. Other countries, such as Germany and France, may have a more clinical-based approach to education. It is important to research the opportunities for hands-on experience in the specific field you are interested in and the country you are considering studying in.