1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Calculus-Some help, please?

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone! :)

I've just finished high school, and have got about 3 months before college begins. So, during this time, I was thinking of doing some self-study in Mathematics and Physics, as I realised that pop-sci books only give me a superficial understanding, and reading them although is fun, is actually quite a waste of time.

So, after looking around a lot of similar threads on here, and researching some study resources, I've come to the decision that I need to gain more skills in Math, to truly understand Physics. So, after having completed a review of high school algebra and trigonometry (which I think I'm pretty good at now), I was thinking of starting MIT Opencourseware's Scholar course on Single Variable Calculus (And also Paul's Online Math Notes for more practice problems). The course claims to be self-contained, both in terms of Theory and Problem Sets. So, is this a good choice, or do you guys think textbooks would serve better in gaining skill? Of course, I do realise that in order to truly master Calculus, one has to beat the legendary Spivak, but I don't think I'm ready for that level yet. So, would the OCW course suffice for a first (yet rigorous)exposure?

Also, is it necessary to be proficient in Complex Numbers or Statistics (just to be sure! :D) before starting Calculus? I'm kinda weak on those two topics.

Any help is deeply appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted