Studying Computer Engineering but need some guidance

In summary, the new member of the forum is a Computer Engineering student in their 4th semester. They are interested in understanding how computers work and have a particular interest in the micro architectures of CPUs and GPUs. They are currently taking classes in Java programming, Applied Electronics, and Numerical Methods. They have found success in their Digital Electronics class, but are struggling with their Applied Electronics class. They are considering pursuing a career in programming or other computer-related fields, but are also considering studying Electronics Engineering later on. They are seeking advice and resources for improving their understanding of electronics and programming.
Space_Shift
Hello everyone! New member here :p

So first of all, I'm studying Computer Engineering and I'm in my 4th semester currently. So, in this semester I'm having some new classes like Java programming, taking another class called Applied Electronics and Numerical Methods. So, first of all I'm really interested in computers how they work and how each part relate to each other. Some subjects that I'm really interested to apply in a future are math, programming, also I'm becoming more interested in the applications of gpgpu and understating how cpus/gpus works (in a low level), well i would like to work on the development of cpus/gpus micro architectures in a future.

Going back now, i really want to understand better my electronics subjects, because i find that with programming or math if I'm having a hard time i can understand a little better the exercises of subjects but instead in my class of Applied Electronics i have a hard time understanding the exercises also i find my teacher that explains to fast a little bit but other thing is i really did well in my Digital Electronics class. I don't know maybe analog electronics is not my thing? :s
Because i would like to work with micro architectures of cpus/gpus I'm afraid that because i don't go well in that class i think i would't be able to work in said field :/ I was thinking that after i go out of university i will start looking a job as a programmer or something related with computers like data bases, networking, servers something like that (i also find interesting those subjects too) and then more later go and study and Electronics Engineering degree to cover that field but i don't know if it's a good idea tbh. So i would like if someone with more experience could give me some guidance or suggestions on what i could do in this situation.
Also i would like to know if there's any good sources to learn/help on studying electronics and/or programming, i would really appreciate it :)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's great to see someone with a passion for computers and electronics. I can definitely relate to your interest in understanding how things work and how different components relate to each other.

First of all, don't worry too much about struggling with certain subjects in your classes. It's completely normal to have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. It's also important to remember that your classes are just one aspect of your education and there are many other ways to learn and gain knowledge.

If you are interested in working with micro architectures of CPUs and GPUs, I would recommend focusing on your programming skills and gaining experience in that area. As you mentioned, there are also other fields related to computers that you find interesting, such as databases, networking, and servers, so you could also explore those options and see which one you enjoy the most.

In terms of learning electronics and programming, there are many online resources available such as tutorials, videos, and online courses. You could also consider joining a study group or finding a mentor who can guide you and help you with any questions you may have.

Lastly, I don't think there is a right or wrong path to take in your education and career. It's important to follow your interests and continue learning and growing in your field. So don't be afraid to try new things and explore different opportunities. Best of luck to you in your studies and future career!

1. What is computer engineering?

Computer engineering is a field of study that combines principles of computer science and electrical engineering to design, develop, and implement computer systems and their components. It involves both hardware and software aspects of computing, and covers a wide range of topics such as computer architecture, programming, and digital design.

2. What skills are required to study computer engineering?

To study computer engineering, one should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of computer hardware and software, and strong communication and teamwork skills are also important.

3. What career opportunities are available for computer engineering graduates?

Computer engineering graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in areas such as software development, hardware design, network engineering, data science, and more. They can work in various industries including technology, healthcare, finance, and manufacturing.

4. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer systems and their hardware and software components. On the other hand, computer science is more focused on the theoretical and mathematical foundations of computing and software development. Computer engineering also has a stronger emphasis on hardware compared to computer science.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in computer engineering?

To prepare for a degree in computer engineering, it is important to have a strong background in math and science. Taking computer science, physics, and calculus courses in high school can be beneficial. It is also helpful to gain experience in programming and working with hardware, either through internships or self-directed projects. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with current trends and technologies in the field can also be beneficial.